Aug 7, 2012, 7:37 PM EST
Flames 2010 draft pick Michael Ferland is in a bit of trouble in Calgary.
Ferland was charged with assault and aggravated assault following a bar fight according to Sun Media. The details of the incident sound boozy and rough.
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment at around 1:10 a.m. MDT when one male was pushed to the ground.
When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and fractured the orbital bone around his eye.
The Flames issued a statement on the 20 year-old’s arrest saying they’ll stand by him through the process. Meanwhile Ferland issued a statement through his agents denying doing anything wrong.
“It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt and I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible” Ferland said.
Ferland is slated to appear in court on September 4.
(Photo courtesy: Luber’s Lounge)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)