Aug 7, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
Flames 2010 draft pick Michael Ferland is in a bit of trouble in Calgary.
Ferland was charged with assault and aggravated assault following a bar fight according to Sun Media. The details of the incident sound boozy and rough.
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment at around 1:10 a.m. MDT when one male was pushed to the ground.
When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and fractured the orbital bone around his eye.
The Flames issued a statement on the 20 year-old’s arrest saying they’ll stand by him through the process. Meanwhile Ferland issued a statement through his agents denying doing anything wrong.
“It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt and I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible” Ferland said.
Ferland is slated to appear in court on September 4.
(Photo courtesy: Luber’s Lounge)
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36