Aug 7, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
Flames 2010 draft pick Michael Ferland is in a bit of trouble in Calgary.
Ferland was charged with assault and aggravated assault following a bar fight according to Sun Media. The details of the incident sound boozy and rough.
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment at around 1:10 a.m. MDT when one male was pushed to the ground.
When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and fractured the orbital bone around his eye.
The Flames issued a statement on the 20 year-old’s arrest saying they’ll stand by him through the process. Meanwhile Ferland issued a statement through his agents denying doing anything wrong.
“It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt and I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible” Ferland said.
Ferland is slated to appear in court on September 4.
(Photo courtesy: Luber’s Lounge)
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 7
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 9
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 108
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7