Aug 7, 2012, 7:37 PM EST
Flames 2010 draft pick Michael Ferland is in a bit of trouble in Calgary.
Ferland was charged with assault and aggravated assault following a bar fight according to Sun Media. The details of the incident sound boozy and rough.
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment at around 1:10 a.m. MDT when one male was pushed to the ground.
When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and fractured the orbital bone around his eye.
The Flames issued a statement on the 20 year-old’s arrest saying they’ll stand by him through the process. Meanwhile Ferland issued a statement through his agents denying doing anything wrong.
“It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt and I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible” Ferland said.
Ferland is slated to appear in court on September 4.
(Photo courtesy: Luber’s Lounge)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 11
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 30
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Varlamov expected to enter plea on Jan. 22 7
- Malkin named NHL’s first star for second straight week 9
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Red Wings challenge division-leading Bruins (32)