Aug 7, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
Flames 2010 draft pick Michael Ferland is in a bit of trouble in Calgary.
Ferland was charged with assault and aggravated assault following a bar fight according to Sun Media. The details of the incident sound boozy and rough.
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment at around 1:10 a.m. MDT when one male was pushed to the ground.
When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and fractured the orbital bone around his eye.
The Flames issued a statement on the 20 year-old’s arrest saying they’ll stand by him through the process. Meanwhile Ferland issued a statement through his agents denying doing anything wrong.
“It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt and I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible” Ferland said.
Ferland is slated to appear in court on September 4.
(Photo courtesy: Luber’s Lounge)
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5