Aug 7, 2012, 11:45 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings and Slovakian YouTube sensation Tomas Jurco have agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level deal.
Jurco, 19, was Detroit’s second pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round selection (35th overall) from St. John of the Quebec Major Junior League. With the Sea Dogs, Jurco was one of the most productive scorers in the QMJHL, notching 175 points in 172 games — and 87 of those points were goals.
During his time in the Q, Jurco also became something of a viral video star. His outrageous stickhandling and cradling at the CHL Top Prospects game earned him rave reviews:
According to CapGeek.com, Jurco signed a three-year deal worth more than $2.12 million with a salary cap hit of $709,187. (Performance bonuses still not official.) It’s believed he’ll start the year with AHL Grand Rapids, but will participate in the Red Wings’ September training camp in Traverse City.
“I want to impress everybody, maybe surprise some people,” Jurco told the Detroit Free Press. “Let them know I can do it. They might not give me chance right away, but during the season when there are some injuries I’ll be playing well in AHL and they will know they can call me up any time.”
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 0
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 5
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3