Aug 7, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and Slovakian YouTube sensation Tomas Jurco have agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level deal.
Jurco, 19, was Detroit’s second pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round selection (35th overall) from St. John of the Quebec Major Junior League. With the Sea Dogs, Jurco was one of the most productive scorers in the QMJHL, notching 175 points in 172 games — and 87 of those points were goals.
During his time in the Q, Jurco also became something of a viral video star. His outrageous stickhandling and cradling at the CHL Top Prospects game earned him rave reviews:
According to CapGeek.com, Jurco signed a three-year deal worth more than $2.12 million with a salary cap hit of $709,187. (Performance bonuses still not official.) It’s believed he’ll start the year with AHL Grand Rapids, but will participate in the Red Wings’ September training camp in Traverse City.
“I want to impress everybody, maybe surprise some people,” Jurco told the Detroit Free Press. “Let them know I can do it. They might not give me chance right away, but during the season when there are some injuries I’ll be playing well in AHL and they will know they can call me up any time.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5