Aug 7, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and Slovakian YouTube sensation Tomas Jurco have agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level deal.
Jurco, 19, was Detroit’s second pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round selection (35th overall) from St. John of the Quebec Major Junior League. With the Sea Dogs, Jurco was one of the most productive scorers in the QMJHL, notching 175 points in 172 games — and 87 of those points were goals.
During his time in the Q, Jurco also became something of a viral video star. His outrageous stickhandling and cradling at the CHL Top Prospects game earned him rave reviews:
According to CapGeek.com, Jurco signed a three-year deal worth more than $2.12 million with a salary cap hit of $709,187. (Performance bonuses still not official.) It’s believed he’ll start the year with AHL Grand Rapids, but will participate in the Red Wings’ September training camp in Traverse City.
“I want to impress everybody, maybe surprise some people,” Jurco told the Detroit Free Press. “Let them know I can do it. They might not give me chance right away, but during the season when there are some injuries I’ll be playing well in AHL and they will know they can call me up any time.”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 19
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39