Aug 7, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and Slovakian YouTube sensation Tomas Jurco have agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level deal.
Jurco, 19, was Detroit’s second pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round selection (35th overall) from St. John of the Quebec Major Junior League. With the Sea Dogs, Jurco was one of the most productive scorers in the QMJHL, notching 175 points in 172 games — and 87 of those points were goals.
During his time in the Q, Jurco also became something of a viral video star. His outrageous stickhandling and cradling at the CHL Top Prospects game earned him rave reviews:
According to CapGeek.com, Jurco signed a three-year deal worth more than $2.12 million with a salary cap hit of $709,187. (Performance bonuses still not official.) It’s believed he’ll start the year with AHL Grand Rapids, but will participate in the Red Wings’ September training camp in Traverse City.
“I want to impress everybody, maybe surprise some people,” Jurco told the Detroit Free Press. “Let them know I can do it. They might not give me chance right away, but during the season when there are some injuries I’ll be playing well in AHL and they will know they can call me up any time.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 10
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 8
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 33
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 56
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 88
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut