Aug 7, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and Slovakian YouTube sensation Tomas Jurco have agreed to terms on a three-year, entry-level deal.
Jurco, 19, was Detroit’s second pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, a second-round selection (35th overall) from St. John of the Quebec Major Junior League. With the Sea Dogs, Jurco was one of the most productive scorers in the QMJHL, notching 175 points in 172 games — and 87 of those points were goals.
During his time in the Q, Jurco also became something of a viral video star. His outrageous stickhandling and cradling at the CHL Top Prospects game earned him rave reviews:
According to CapGeek.com, Jurco signed a three-year deal worth more than $2.12 million with a salary cap hit of $709,187. (Performance bonuses still not official.) It’s believed he’ll start the year with AHL Grand Rapids, but will participate in the Red Wings’ September training camp in Traverse City.
“I want to impress everybody, maybe surprise some people,” Jurco told the Detroit Free Press. “Let them know I can do it. They might not give me chance right away, but during the season when there are some injuries I’ll be playing well in AHL and they will know they can call me up any time.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)