Aug 7, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT
It’s not the typical way to leak news, but Carolina GM Jim Rutherford took to Twitter to say there will be news on Jeff Skinner soon.
Rutherford tweeted out saying: “It looks like we are going to be able to get Jeff Skinner tied up for a number of years. Exciting news for our franchise.”
Carolina has five players locked up through 2015-16 (Eric Staal, Tuomo Ruutu, Tim Gleason, Jay Harrison, and Cam Ward) with Jordan Staal signed through 2022-23. Adding Skinner to that list (assuming he gets a long-term deal) gives them a solid core of players to build around through the years with the Staal brothers and Skinner being premiere forwards.
Skinner isn’t set to become a restricted free agent until next summer and locking him up now is a good plan for him so he can get locked in under the current CBA.
UPDATE (11:05 p.m. ET): TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets Skinner’s deal will be a six-year extension worth $5.725 million per year. That’s good for a total of $34.35 million. That’s a lot of scratch.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 0
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)