Aug 7, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT
It’s not the typical way to leak news, but Carolina GM Jim Rutherford took to Twitter to say there will be news on Jeff Skinner soon.
Rutherford tweeted out saying: “It looks like we are going to be able to get Jeff Skinner tied up for a number of years. Exciting news for our franchise.”
Carolina has five players locked up through 2015-16 (Eric Staal, Tuomo Ruutu, Tim Gleason, Jay Harrison, and Cam Ward) with Jordan Staal signed through 2022-23. Adding Skinner to that list (assuming he gets a long-term deal) gives them a solid core of players to build around through the years with the Staal brothers and Skinner being premiere forwards.
Skinner isn’t set to become a restricted free agent until next summer and locking him up now is a good plan for him so he can get locked in under the current CBA.
UPDATE (11:05 p.m. ET): TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets Skinner’s deal will be a six-year extension worth $5.725 million per year. That’s good for a total of $34.35 million. That’s a lot of scratch.
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 3
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 6
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)