Aug 7, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT
It’s not the typical way to leak news, but Carolina GM Jim Rutherford took to Twitter to say there will be news on Jeff Skinner soon.
Rutherford tweeted out saying: “It looks like we are going to be able to get Jeff Skinner tied up for a number of years. Exciting news for our franchise.”
Carolina has five players locked up through 2015-16 (Eric Staal, Tuomo Ruutu, Tim Gleason, Jay Harrison, and Cam Ward) with Jordan Staal signed through 2022-23. Adding Skinner to that list (assuming he gets a long-term deal) gives them a solid core of players to build around through the years with the Staal brothers and Skinner being premiere forwards.
Skinner isn’t set to become a restricted free agent until next summer and locking him up now is a good plan for him so he can get locked in under the current CBA.
UPDATE (11:05 p.m. ET): TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets Skinner’s deal will be a six-year extension worth $5.725 million per year. That’s good for a total of $34.35 million. That’s a lot of scratch.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)