Aug 7, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT
It’s not the typical way to leak news, but Carolina GM Jim Rutherford took to Twitter to say there will be news on Jeff Skinner soon.
Rutherford tweeted out saying: “It looks like we are going to be able to get Jeff Skinner tied up for a number of years. Exciting news for our franchise.”
Carolina has five players locked up through 2015-16 (Eric Staal, Tuomo Ruutu, Tim Gleason, Jay Harrison, and Cam Ward) with Jordan Staal signed through 2022-23. Adding Skinner to that list (assuming he gets a long-term deal) gives them a solid core of players to build around through the years with the Staal brothers and Skinner being premiere forwards.
Skinner isn’t set to become a restricted free agent until next summer and locking him up now is a good plan for him so he can get locked in under the current CBA.
UPDATE (11:05 p.m. ET): TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets Skinner’s deal will be a six-year extension worth $5.725 million per year. That’s good for a total of $34.35 million. That’s a lot of scratch.
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 0
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64