Aug 6, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
The speedy defenseman is attempting to block a trade to the New York Islanders, claiming that they essentially ignored his no-trade clause.
Visnovsky’s contract actually could theoretically benefit both lower-budget teams because his cap hit ($5.6 million) is significantly higher than his $3 million salary in 2012-13.
Beyond those money concerns, “Lubo” is just a season removed from an outstanding 68-point season that attracted some Norris Trophy buzz in 2010-11. He joined the Ducks via a trade with Ryan Whitney.
The reason for the holdup is unclear. One might lean toward how unusual the situation is or point out that the NHL is busy with the CBA negotiations, though.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22