Aug 6, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
The speedy defenseman is attempting to block a trade to the New York Islanders, claiming that they essentially ignored his no-trade clause.
Visnovsky’s contract actually could theoretically benefit both lower-budget teams because his cap hit ($5.6 million) is significantly higher than his $3 million salary in 2012-13.
Beyond those money concerns, “Lubo” is just a season removed from an outstanding 68-point season that attracted some Norris Trophy buzz in 2010-11. He joined the Ducks via a trade with Ryan Whitney.
The reason for the holdup is unclear. One might lean toward how unusual the situation is or point out that the NHL is busy with the CBA negotiations, though.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)