Aug 6, 2012, 10:27 AM EST
The speedy defenseman is attempting to block a trade to the New York Islanders, claiming that they essentially ignored his no-trade clause.
Visnovsky’s contract actually could theoretically benefit both lower-budget teams because his cap hit ($5.6 million) is significantly higher than his $3 million salary in 2012-13.
Beyond those money concerns, “Lubo” is just a season removed from an outstanding 68-point season that attracted some Norris Trophy buzz in 2010-11. He joined the Ducks via a trade with Ryan Whitney.
The reason for the holdup is unclear. One might lean toward how unusual the situation is or point out that the NHL is busy with the CBA negotiations, though.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)