Aug 6, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic doesn’t boast a flashy style, but that hasn’t stopped many San Jose Sharks fans from becoming fans of his steady defensive game.
Those same fans would probably be happy to hear that his agent told CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz that Vlasic’s five-year extension includes a “full no-trade clause.”
Vlasic has seen a lot of NHL hockey for a 25-year-old defenseman.
In six seasons, the blueliner has already played in 471 regular season games. He’s been sturdy in almost every one of those campaigns, playing in at least 80 games in five of those six years.
Vlasic might not ever top the 36 points he generated in 2008-09, but Fear the Fin explains why his 23 points didn’t tell the whole story about his value last season.
… The 25-year-old controlled play at evens matching up against opposing teams’ best forwards all season long. The only defensemen in the NHL to face both a higher quality of competition than Vlasic this past year and finish with a higher Corsi rate (an on-ice shot differential metric that tracks closely with puck possession and scoring chances) were all-world veterans Nicklas Lidstrom and Kimmo Timonen. Which is fitting since the mark of Vlasic’s game, even when he broke into the league as a 19-year-old six years ago, has always been his veteran-like positional play and defensive prowess.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 36
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)