Aug 6, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic doesn’t boast a flashy style, but that hasn’t stopped many San Jose Sharks fans from becoming fans of his steady defensive game.
Those same fans would probably be happy to hear that his agent told CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz that Vlasic’s five-year extension includes a “full no-trade clause.”
Vlasic has seen a lot of NHL hockey for a 25-year-old defenseman.
In six seasons, the blueliner has already played in 471 regular season games. He’s been sturdy in almost every one of those campaigns, playing in at least 80 games in five of those six years.
Vlasic might not ever top the 36 points he generated in 2008-09, but Fear the Fin explains why his 23 points didn’t tell the whole story about his value last season.
… The 25-year-old controlled play at evens matching up against opposing teams’ best forwards all season long. The only defensemen in the NHL to face both a higher quality of competition than Vlasic this past year and finish with a higher Corsi rate (an on-ice shot differential metric that tracks closely with puck possession and scoring chances) were all-world veterans Nicklas Lidstrom and Kimmo Timonen. Which is fitting since the mark of Vlasic’s game, even when he broke into the league as a 19-year-old six years ago, has always been his veteran-like positional play and defensive prowess.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)