Aug 6, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today we continue with the Winnipeg Jets.
The 2011-12 campaign was obviously a season of transitions for the Jets in more ways than one. Last year, the Atlanta Thrashers moved to the hockey hungry city of Winnipeg.
In addition to changing owners and cities, the team also appointed a new GM and head coach during the summer of 2011.
That being said, the team itself remained largely intact and it was one that has been struggling through a rough rebuilding process.
The Winnipeg Jets, who were forced to play in the Southeast Division in 2011-12 and are expected to suffer the same fate next season, failed to make the postseason for the fifth straight campaign.
This is a franchise that has been unable to gain any transaction since its inception. They have been to the playoffs just one time and are still looking for their first postseason win.
Is this franchise ready to reverse its fortunes? Could Winnipeg host its first playoff game in 2013 since the original Jets moved to the desert? Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Jets.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)