Aug 6, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today we continue with the Winnipeg Jets.
The 2011-12 campaign was obviously a season of transitions for the Jets in more ways than one. Last year, the Atlanta Thrashers moved to the hockey hungry city of Winnipeg.
In addition to changing owners and cities, the team also appointed a new GM and head coach during the summer of 2011.
That being said, the team itself remained largely intact and it was one that has been struggling through a rough rebuilding process.
The Winnipeg Jets, who were forced to play in the Southeast Division in 2011-12 and are expected to suffer the same fate next season, failed to make the postseason for the fifth straight campaign.
This is a franchise that has been unable to gain any transaction since its inception. They have been to the playoffs just one time and are still looking for their first postseason win.
Is this franchise ready to reverse its fortunes? Could Winnipeg host its first playoff game in 2013 since the original Jets moved to the desert? Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Jets.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 19
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)