Aug 6, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today we continue with the Winnipeg Jets.
The 2011-12 campaign was obviously a season of transitions for the Jets in more ways than one. Last year, the Atlanta Thrashers moved to the hockey hungry city of Winnipeg.
In addition to changing owners and cities, the team also appointed a new GM and head coach during the summer of 2011.
That being said, the team itself remained largely intact and it was one that has been struggling through a rough rebuilding process.
The Winnipeg Jets, who were forced to play in the Southeast Division in 2011-12 and are expected to suffer the same fate next season, failed to make the postseason for the fifth straight campaign.
This is a franchise that has been unable to gain any transaction since its inception. They have been to the playoffs just one time and are still looking for their first postseason win.
Is this franchise ready to reverse its fortunes? Could Winnipeg host its first playoff game in 2013 since the original Jets moved to the desert? Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Jets.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)