Aug 6, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today we continue with the Winnipeg Jets.
The 2011-12 campaign was obviously a season of transitions for the Jets in more ways than one. Last year, the Atlanta Thrashers moved to the hockey hungry city of Winnipeg.
In addition to changing owners and cities, the team also appointed a new GM and head coach during the summer of 2011.
That being said, the team itself remained largely intact and it was one that has been struggling through a rough rebuilding process.
The Winnipeg Jets, who were forced to play in the Southeast Division in 2011-12 and are expected to suffer the same fate next season, failed to make the postseason for the fifth straight campaign.
This is a franchise that has been unable to gain any transaction since its inception. They have been to the playoffs just one time and are still looking for their first postseason win.
Is this franchise ready to reverse its fortunes? Could Winnipeg host its first playoff game in 2013 since the original Jets moved to the desert? Stay tuned for our extended coverage of the Jets.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)