Aug 5, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
Burke was the Canucks’ general manager from 1997-2004. Messier spent three seasons (1997-98 through 1999-2000) with Vancouver.
Much like Messier, many believe that Burke isn’t a particularly popular man within the Canucks franchise these days.
Brooks passes along the view that the case never should’ve gone to arbitration in the first place, though.
Multiple individuals report the case was black-and-white, and never should have proceeded to arbitration given the clause in Messier’s registered contract he signed with the Canucks in 1997 that called for him to get a percentage of the increase in franchise value upon the team’s sale.
Charles Wang says the case should have been decided by Gary Bettman.
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 32
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 15
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6