Aug 5, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
Burke was the Canucks’ general manager from 1997-2004. Messier spent three seasons (1997-98 through 1999-2000) with Vancouver.
Much like Messier, many believe that Burke isn’t a particularly popular man within the Canucks franchise these days.
Brooks passes along the view that the case never should’ve gone to arbitration in the first place, though.
Multiple individuals report the case was black-and-white, and never should have proceeded to arbitration given the clause in Messier’s registered contract he signed with the Canucks in 1997 that called for him to get a percentage of the increase in franchise value upon the team’s sale.
Charles Wang says the case should have been decided by Gary Bettman.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 30
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 11
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 114
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 92
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (114)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (92)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)