Aug 5, 2012, 2:22 PM EDT
Burke was the Canucks’ general manager from 1997-2004. Messier spent three seasons (1997-98 through 1999-2000) with Vancouver.
Much like Messier, many believe that Burke isn’t a particularly popular man within the Canucks franchise these days.
Brooks passes along the view that the case never should’ve gone to arbitration in the first place, though.
Multiple individuals report the case was black-and-white, and never should have proceeded to arbitration given the clause in Messier’s registered contract he signed with the Canucks in 1997 that called for him to get a percentage of the increase in franchise value upon the team’s sale.
Charles Wang says the case should have been decided by Gary Bettman.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 0
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 23
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15