Aug 4, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
It’s a bit early to start getting excited about the 2013 World Junior Championships set to take place in Russia, but the time to evaluate the talent is now.
The WJC evaluation camp featuring Team USA, Sweden, and Finland kicked off their week of action in Lake Placid, NY today. During the week, the teams will practice and face off against each other in scrimmages and the amount of future NHL talent on display this year is hefty.
Chris Peters at the United States of Hockey previewed the camp extensively and highlighting the Americans group of talent are 2012 third overall pick Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal) and potential 2013 top pick defenseman Seth Jones (pictured).
I’ve written about Jones here after seeing him in last year’s camp as a 16 year-old. Seeing how the son of former NBA player “Popeye” Jones has improved in a year is virtually worth the price of gas to get there.
Joining Galchenyuk and Jones for the USA will be a handful of other 2012 first-round picks in Jacob Trouba (Winnipeg), Jordan Schmaltz (St. Louis), Henrik Samuelsson (Phoenix), Brady Skjei (Rangers), and Stefan Matteau (New Jersey).
Sweden and Finland aren’t slacking off either as the Swedes will have 2012 draftees Filip Forsberg (Washington), Oscar Dansk (Columbus), Pontus Aberg (Nashville), and Hampus Lindholm (Anaheim). They’ll also have some highly touted 2011 picks in Mika Zibanejad (Ottawa) and Oscar Klefbom (Edmonton) as well.
PHT will be in Lake Placid this week providing observations of Team USA’s games against both Sweden and Finland on August 8 and 9.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)