Aug 4, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
When you look at the career of Martin St. Louis, one thing stands out amongst everything else: Consistency.
Since 2002-03 he’s had 70+ points in each season except for one (05-06). During Tampa’s Stanley Cup title season in 2004, he led the NHL in points with 95 and won the Hart Trophy as the league MVP. He was a finalist for MVP in 2011 after putting up 99 points and leading the Lightning to the Eastern Conference finals.
In 2006-07 when Lecavalier had a career-high 52 goals and 108 points, it was St. Louis there riding shotgun with him with 102 points of his own. While Stamkos was busy scoring 60 goals last season, again it was St. Louis along for the ride with 74 points many of which came in helping Stamkos reach a milestone number. That ability to complement another’s play so well is rare.
The Lightning’s success over the years has always been seemingly on and off, but it’s been St. Louis that’s been the rock. Not bad for a guy who went undrafted out of the University of Vermont and whom the Calgary Flames gave up on after two seasons.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)