Aug 4, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
When you look at the career of Martin St. Louis, one thing stands out amongst everything else: Consistency.
Since 2002-03 he’s had 70+ points in each season except for one (05-06). During Tampa’s Stanley Cup title season in 2004, he led the NHL in points with 95 and won the Hart Trophy as the league MVP. He was a finalist for MVP in 2011 after putting up 99 points and leading the Lightning to the Eastern Conference finals.
In 2006-07 when Lecavalier had a career-high 52 goals and 108 points, it was St. Louis there riding shotgun with him with 102 points of his own. While Stamkos was busy scoring 60 goals last season, again it was St. Louis along for the ride with 74 points many of which came in helping Stamkos reach a milestone number. That ability to complement another’s play so well is rare.
The Lightning’s success over the years has always been seemingly on and off, but it’s been St. Louis that’s been the rock. Not bad for a guy who went undrafted out of the University of Vermont and whom the Calgary Flames gave up on after two seasons.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)