Aug 4, 2012, 11:06 PM EST
It’s hard not to look at the Edmonton Oilers and get excited for how that team might do over the years to come.
As it is, they might compete for a playoff spot in 2012-13 and if they can add some complimentary players over the next few years, maybe they’ll even be a serious contender for the Stanley Cup in the not too distant future.
On top of that, right now what they really need is more than anything is for their youngsters to get more NHL experience.
In the words of the Edmonton Sun’s Robert Tychkowski, “It would be a shame if it never happens, if the season is derailed just as the Oilers are poised to challenge for a playoff spot.”
That sentiment is probably shared by plenty of Oilers fans and it’s not lost on their player representative, goaltender Devan Dubnyk.
“There’s a ton of excitement around this team and there’s good reason for it,” Dubnyk said, as reported by the Edmonton Sun. “That makes it even more nerve-wracking to go through this (CBA) stuff. The good thing is that both sides agree that having a lockout would be bad for everybody involved.”
Dubnyk added that “it seems that both sides are being civil.”
The CBA talks are set to resume on Tuesday.
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 10
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 33
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 27
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 40
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)