Aug 4, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
It’s hard not to look at the Edmonton Oilers and get excited for how that team might do over the years to come.
As it is, they might compete for a playoff spot in 2012-13 and if they can add some complimentary players over the next few years, maybe they’ll even be a serious contender for the Stanley Cup in the not too distant future.
On top of that, right now what they really need is more than anything is for their youngsters to get more NHL experience.
In the words of the Edmonton Sun’s Robert Tychkowski, “It would be a shame if it never happens, if the season is derailed just as the Oilers are poised to challenge for a playoff spot.”
That sentiment is probably shared by plenty of Oilers fans and it’s not lost on their player representative, goaltender Devan Dubnyk.
“There’s a ton of excitement around this team and there’s good reason for it,” Dubnyk said, as reported by the Edmonton Sun. “That makes it even more nerve-wracking to go through this (CBA) stuff. The good thing is that both sides agree that having a lockout would be bad for everybody involved.”
Dubnyk added that “it seems that both sides are being civil.”
The CBA talks are set to resume on Tuesday.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)