Aug 4, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
It’s hard not to look at the Edmonton Oilers and get excited for how that team might do over the years to come.
As it is, they might compete for a playoff spot in 2012-13 and if they can add some complimentary players over the next few years, maybe they’ll even be a serious contender for the Stanley Cup in the not too distant future.
On top of that, right now what they really need is more than anything is for their youngsters to get more NHL experience.
In the words of the Edmonton Sun’s Robert Tychkowski, “It would be a shame if it never happens, if the season is derailed just as the Oilers are poised to challenge for a playoff spot.”
That sentiment is probably shared by plenty of Oilers fans and it’s not lost on their player representative, goaltender Devan Dubnyk.
“There’s a ton of excitement around this team and there’s good reason for it,” Dubnyk said, as reported by the Edmonton Sun. “That makes it even more nerve-wracking to go through this (CBA) stuff. The good thing is that both sides agree that having a lockout would be bad for everybody involved.”
Dubnyk added that “it seems that both sides are being civil.”
The CBA talks are set to resume on Tuesday.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)