Aug 4, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
It’s hard not to look at the Edmonton Oilers and get excited for how that team might do over the years to come.
As it is, they might compete for a playoff spot in 2012-13 and if they can add some complimentary players over the next few years, maybe they’ll even be a serious contender for the Stanley Cup in the not too distant future.
On top of that, right now what they really need is more than anything is for their youngsters to get more NHL experience.
In the words of the Edmonton Sun’s Robert Tychkowski, “It would be a shame if it never happens, if the season is derailed just as the Oilers are poised to challenge for a playoff spot.”
That sentiment is probably shared by plenty of Oilers fans and it’s not lost on their player representative, goaltender Devan Dubnyk.
“There’s a ton of excitement around this team and there’s good reason for it,” Dubnyk said, as reported by the Edmonton Sun. “That makes it even more nerve-wracking to go through this (CBA) stuff. The good thing is that both sides agree that having a lockout would be bad for everybody involved.”
Dubnyk added that “it seems that both sides are being civil.”
The CBA talks are set to resume on Tuesday.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)