Aug 4, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
It’s hard not to look at the Edmonton Oilers and get excited for how that team might do over the years to come.
As it is, they might compete for a playoff spot in 2012-13 and if they can add some complimentary players over the next few years, maybe they’ll even be a serious contender for the Stanley Cup in the not too distant future.
On top of that, right now what they really need is more than anything is for their youngsters to get more NHL experience.
In the words of the Edmonton Sun’s Robert Tychkowski, “It would be a shame if it never happens, if the season is derailed just as the Oilers are poised to challenge for a playoff spot.”
That sentiment is probably shared by plenty of Oilers fans and it’s not lost on their player representative, goaltender Devan Dubnyk.
“There’s a ton of excitement around this team and there’s good reason for it,” Dubnyk said, as reported by the Edmonton Sun. “That makes it even more nerve-wracking to go through this (CBA) stuff. The good thing is that both sides agree that having a lockout would be bad for everybody involved.”
Dubnyk added that “it seems that both sides are being civil.”
The CBA talks are set to resume on Tuesday.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)