Aug 4, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
It’s a shame the Lightning finished out of the playoffs last season because Steve Stamkos‘ incredible season was an afterthought because of it.
In case you’d forgotten, Stamkos took home the Rocket Richard Trophy last season leading the league with 60 goals. It’s the second time in three years he’s taken home the league goal scoring hardware (he tied with Sidney Crosby in 2009-10). Stamkos’ 97 points marked a career-high for a single season.
After such a monster season, what does he do for an encore? You might want to lower expectations.
The last guy to score 60 or more was Alex Ovechkin in 2007-08 when he put up 65 goals at age 22. He followed that season with a 56 goal effort and 50 the season after that. Since then, the “run and gun” Caps have gone away as has Ovechkin’s staggering goal totals.
Stamkos heads into 2012-13 season as a 22 year-old leader himself. He’s the main threat on the Lightning and you could argue his supporting cast in Tampa is better than what Ovechkin had during his monster season. That said, with the game being a bit tighter now and power play chances on the decline, gunning for 60 (or more) might prove to be difficult.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)