Aug 4, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
It’s a shame the Lightning finished out of the playoffs last season because Steve Stamkos‘ incredible season was an afterthought because of it.
In case you’d forgotten, Stamkos took home the Rocket Richard Trophy last season leading the league with 60 goals. It’s the second time in three years he’s taken home the league goal scoring hardware (he tied with Sidney Crosby in 2009-10). Stamkos’ 97 points marked a career-high for a single season.
After such a monster season, what does he do for an encore? You might want to lower expectations.
The last guy to score 60 or more was Alex Ovechkin in 2007-08 when he put up 65 goals at age 22. He followed that season with a 56 goal effort and 50 the season after that. Since then, the “run and gun” Caps have gone away as has Ovechkin’s staggering goal totals.
Stamkos heads into 2012-13 season as a 22 year-old leader himself. He’s the main threat on the Lightning and you could argue his supporting cast in Tampa is better than what Ovechkin had during his monster season. That said, with the game being a bit tighter now and power play chances on the decline, gunning for 60 (or more) might prove to be difficult.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)