Aug 4, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
It’s a shame the Lightning finished out of the playoffs last season because Steve Stamkos‘ incredible season was an afterthought because of it.
In case you’d forgotten, Stamkos took home the Rocket Richard Trophy last season leading the league with 60 goals. It’s the second time in three years he’s taken home the league goal scoring hardware (he tied with Sidney Crosby in 2009-10). Stamkos’ 97 points marked a career-high for a single season.
After such a monster season, what does he do for an encore? You might want to lower expectations.
The last guy to score 60 or more was Alex Ovechkin in 2007-08 when he put up 65 goals at age 22. He followed that season with a 56 goal effort and 50 the season after that. Since then, the “run and gun” Caps have gone away as has Ovechkin’s staggering goal totals.
Stamkos heads into 2012-13 season as a 22 year-old leader himself. He’s the main threat on the Lightning and you could argue his supporting cast in Tampa is better than what Ovechkin had during his monster season. That said, with the game being a bit tighter now and power play chances on the decline, gunning for 60 (or more) might prove to be difficult.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 9
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 8
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)