Aug 4, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
When you look back on Tampa Bay’s history of goaltenders, it’s a rather suspect list of guys who have come, gone, and not lived up to expectations.
After seeing Dwayne Roloson look every bit of 42 years-old last season, the time was now for GM Steve Yzerman to make a move for the future. There, he found Anders Lindback via trade with Nashville and for Yzerman, he has high hopes that he’ll be the man to lead them back to the postseason.
The issue with Lindback, however, is we’re not all that sure what we’ll see out of him. He’s spent two seasons in the NHL backing up Pekka Rinne and in that time he’s played just 38 games. His career numbers are average with a .914 save percentage and a 2.53 goals against average. Stats like that would’ve put him outside the top 20 in the NHL.
Cause for concern? Not necessarily.
He’s just 24 years-old and he’ll have a Lightning team coached by Guy Boucher in front of him that has a stronger defense than what they had last season. Perhaps Lindback will see stronger numbers with the infamous 1-3-1 defense in front of him. Then again, maybe he’ll turn out as well as other goaltending experiments have in the past.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)