Aug 4, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
When you look back on Tampa Bay’s history of goaltenders, it’s a rather suspect list of guys who have come, gone, and not lived up to expectations.
After seeing Dwayne Roloson look every bit of 42 years-old last season, the time was now for GM Steve Yzerman to make a move for the future. There, he found Anders Lindback via trade with Nashville and for Yzerman, he has high hopes that he’ll be the man to lead them back to the postseason.
The issue with Lindback, however, is we’re not all that sure what we’ll see out of him. He’s spent two seasons in the NHL backing up Pekka Rinne and in that time he’s played just 38 games. His career numbers are average with a .914 save percentage and a 2.53 goals against average. Stats like that would’ve put him outside the top 20 in the NHL.
Cause for concern? Not necessarily.
He’s just 24 years-old and he’ll have a Lightning team coached by Guy Boucher in front of him that has a stronger defense than what they had last season. Perhaps Lindback will see stronger numbers with the infamous 1-3-1 defense in front of him. Then again, maybe he’ll turn out as well as other goaltending experiments have in the past.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)