Aug 4, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
When you look back on Tampa Bay’s history of goaltenders, it’s a rather suspect list of guys who have come, gone, and not lived up to expectations.
After seeing Dwayne Roloson look every bit of 42 years-old last season, the time was now for GM Steve Yzerman to make a move for the future. There, he found Anders Lindback via trade with Nashville and for Yzerman, he has high hopes that he’ll be the man to lead them back to the postseason.
The issue with Lindback, however, is we’re not all that sure what we’ll see out of him. He’s spent two seasons in the NHL backing up Pekka Rinne and in that time he’s played just 38 games. His career numbers are average with a .914 save percentage and a 2.53 goals against average. Stats like that would’ve put him outside the top 20 in the NHL.
Cause for concern? Not necessarily.
He’s just 24 years-old and he’ll have a Lightning team coached by Guy Boucher in front of him that has a stronger defense than what they had last season. Perhaps Lindback will see stronger numbers with the infamous 1-3-1 defense in front of him. Then again, maybe he’ll turn out as well as other goaltending experiments have in the past.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)