Aug 3, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
The Kings aren’t the only team locking up their first-round pick today.
Toronto announced the signing of 2012 fifth overall selection Morgan Rielly to his three-year entry-level deal. At 6’1″ 200 pounds, the Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL) defenseman helps restock Toronto’s cupboard of prospect blue liners.
He made for an intriguing pick so high by the Leafs because he missed most of the 2011-12 season with a knee injury. At 18 years-old, expect to see Rielly back with Moose Jaw next season and for the Leafs to not rush him to the NHL. That could mean, however, that we see a nine-game audition from him early on to see what he might be all about before he goes back to juniors.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)