Aug 3, 2012, 4:03 PM EST
The Kings aren’t the only team locking up their first-round pick today.
Toronto announced the signing of 2012 fifth overall selection Morgan Rielly to his three-year entry-level deal. At 6’1″ 200 pounds, the Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL) defenseman helps restock Toronto’s cupboard of prospect blue liners.
He made for an intriguing pick so high by the Leafs because he missed most of the 2011-12 season with a knee injury. At 18 years-old, expect to see Rielly back with Moose Jaw next season and for the Leafs to not rush him to the NHL. That could mean, however, that we see a nine-game audition from him early on to see what he might be all about before he goes back to juniors.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 20
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)