Aug 3, 2012, 4:03 PM EST
The Kings aren’t the only team locking up their first-round pick today.
Toronto announced the signing of 2012 fifth overall selection Morgan Rielly to his three-year entry-level deal. At 6’1″ 200 pounds, the Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL) defenseman helps restock Toronto’s cupboard of prospect blue liners.
He made for an intriguing pick so high by the Leafs because he missed most of the 2011-12 season with a knee injury. At 18 years-old, expect to see Rielly back with Moose Jaw next season and for the Leafs to not rush him to the NHL. That could mean, however, that we see a nine-game audition from him early on to see what he might be all about before he goes back to juniors.
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 0
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 33
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)