Aug 3, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
The Kings aren’t the only team locking up their first-round pick today.
Toronto announced the signing of 2012 fifth overall selection Morgan Rielly to his three-year entry-level deal. At 6’1″ 200 pounds, the Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL) defenseman helps restock Toronto’s cupboard of prospect blue liners.
He made for an intriguing pick so high by the Leafs because he missed most of the 2011-12 season with a knee injury. At 18 years-old, expect to see Rielly back with Moose Jaw next season and for the Leafs to not rush him to the NHL. That could mean, however, that we see a nine-game audition from him early on to see what he might be all about before he goes back to juniors.
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 3
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14