Aug 3, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
NHL.com’s Pete Jensen explored a fun question: which players had the best fantasy hockey seasons of all-time?
There are plenty of expected legends such as Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr and Martin Brodeur on his top 16 list, yet Jensen includes a few surprises.
The biggest one might be Jonathan Quick, who was on the “bench” behind Brodeur and Philadelphia Flyers Hall of Famer Bernie Parent.
Only two goalies since the start of the expansion era (Brodeur in ’97-98 and Parent in ’73-74) have posted better single-season goals-against averages with 69-plus appearances than Quick’s G.A.A. in ’11-12. The Cup champion Kings had the second-worst goal-scoring offense in the League this past regular season, but that didn’t prevent Quick from posting 35 wins (T-5th in NHL) and a League-best 10 shutouts.
When you knock Dominik Hasek and Patrick Roy’s best statistical seasons to the “honorable mentions” section, you know you’ve had a good year.
Jensen’s list is just another reminder of the high bar Quick set for himself in 2011-12.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)