Quick makes best all-time fantasy roster alongside Gretzky, Orr

Aug 3, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT

Jonathan Quick Getty Images

NHL.com’s Pete Jensen explored a fun question: which players had the best fantasy hockey seasons of all-time?

There are plenty of expected legends such as Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr and Martin Brodeur on his top 16 list, yet Jensen includes a few surprises.

The biggest one might be Jonathan Quick, who was on the “bench” behind Brodeur and Philadelphia Flyers Hall of Famer Bernie Parent.

Only two goalies since the start of the expansion era (Brodeur in ’97-98 and Parent in ’73-74) have posted better single-season goals-against averages with 69-plus appearances than Quick’s G.A.A. in ’11-12. The Cup champion Kings had the second-worst goal-scoring offense in the League this past regular season, but that didn’t prevent Quick from posting 35 wins (T-5th in NHL) and a League-best 10 shutouts.

When you knock Dominik Hasek and Patrick Roy’s best statistical seasons to the “honorable mentions” section, you know you’ve had a good year.

Jensen’s list is just another reminder of the high bar Quick set for himself in 2011-12.

1. biasedhomer - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

So why did Lundqvist win Veinza?

2. bruin63 - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

two words to describe quick. over and rated

• windmiller4 - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM

A stanley cup and a conn smyth sound overratted to me too…

• babar61 - Aug 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM

What a ridiculous comment. You are either a troll or an ignorant, uneducated “fan”.

3. blomfeld - Aug 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM

AND SO HE SHOULD …

My favorite goalies of all time have always been Vladislav Tretiak and Bernie Parent, as I always tried to play like them myself, when growing up playing street hockey. Anyway, this years’ “wondrous” developments have now seen to it that Jonathan Quick is added to my list of “all-time” favorite back-stoppers ! :)

GO QUICK GO ! … WE LOVE YOU MAN !!!!! :)

• charleslouis99 - Aug 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Why the Elvis videos all the time can’t you change it up a little lol something actually entertaining

• windmiller4 - Aug 4, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Ya something other than a guy who croaked while taking a dump

• blomfeld - Aug 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

No Can Do, Mister McGoo !

4. atwatercrushesokoye - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Jim Carey “the Net Detective”, Brian Boucher, Steve Mason, Roman Turek etc… All of these goalies had good seasons (although not as good as Quick this year) but none sustained anything, it’s great that Quick had one of the best all-time seasons but it’s prolonged success that makes you great. Let’s pump the brakes a little bit and watch him string together 7 or 8 great seasons before we start talking about him in the same sentence as Roy, Brodeur or Hasek.

And the Elvis videos are lame, I get that it’s your thing but it might be time to reinvent yourself in that regard.

• blomfeld - Aug 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Listen Watergate …

the only “lame” thing around here are you Luongo apologists … the bottom line is that the “Stanley Cup Champion” Los Angeles Kings are “the” best hockey team in the world today, bar none ! … and the most “important & valuable” member of that team is Jonathan Quick ! … therefore, kindly take your calls for “a little bit of brake pumping” and apply that to your man Bobby Lou … if ever there was an example of money not being everything, then that would surely be him …

• atwatercrushesokoye - Aug 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I’m a Luongo apologist?! Perhaps you’ve missed the fact that I’m quite open about being a Calgary Flames fan and dislike everything about the Canucks? Last year PHT did their live blog during game 7 I was posting “loooooo” after every beach ball he let by him, and I’ve been consistent in my belief that Canada won gold despite him not because of him, but he’s not nearly as bad as Canucks fans are making him out to be.

If anything I’m a Kiprusoff apologist.

Btw, did you really give yourself thumbs up? That’s almost as lame as posting videos of Elvis although fitting since the Kings time on the throne will end in a quick similar fashion.

• blomfeld - Aug 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

A Flames eh ? … well God bless you friend and God speed … despite their current troubles, Iggy will always be one of my favorites :) … but Kiprusoff ?… look, I know he means well and all, but man do they ever need to change things up in a hurry, especially in goal ! … however, it sounds like you have an “accurate & sober” take on Luongo … you’re exactly correct by stating that Canada won gold “despite” Luongo … as for the local hatred here ? … yes it’s probably gone a bit overboard, but you do have to remember that this man didn’t exactly “endear” himself to Canuck fans here over the years … right from day one, he had his ass kissed from every conceivable angle, yet in the end it still wasn’t good enough for the man … I’ll concede that he did try his hand at humility this past year, but that was likely “too little too late” for most … people simply don’t forget his penchant for gazing up to the heavens in exasperation every time he allowed a goal, as if to say … “am I the only one playing here ?” … on the bright side however, the Canucks have a bright future ahead with Schneider ….

• atwatercrushesokoye - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Aloof would be a very good word to describe Luongo for sure. It was fairly ironic that after years of being mediocre in the playoffs, he was replaced in a year where he was actually playing pretty well it was more a matter of your Kings out working the rest of the team and Quick being absolutely unreal.

The only thing that I would say to somewhat defend Luongo is that Canucks fans have a track record of being fickle with their players, goalies in particular. Two examples of this: 1. The fans blamed Cloutier for their loss to Calgary in 04, but the reality was he played really well in games 1 and 2 and then was playing well in game 3 before getting hurt in the second period and missing the rest of the series. The second example is from 2002, Naslund and Iginla were jockying for the Art Ross trophy, I went to watch a game in Vancouver (not against the Flames) while Naslund was in a small slump and had fallen behind Iggy, that night I listened to a bunch of Canucks fans talk about what a loser Naslund was and how they should trade him for Iginla.

Hopefully they treat Schneider a little better than that, he’s a young very talented goalie, although I do hope he’s a “Net Detective” like flash in the pan!

• blomfeld - Aug 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I don’t know about “aloof” as I see him as someone who behaves like an “entitled” person ? The only problem there is that “entitlement” is something be earned, not demanded. Please remember that “playing pretty well” was “not” what was expected from Luongo this year … and it was “not” what was expected from someone who’s getting paid $64 million dollars ! I knew intuitively that Luongo was history right when Richards scored that “bad angle” goal on him in game one. I don’t sympathize for the guy one bit however, as he’s brought this on himself … not to mention that he’s insanely rich.

At any rate, the Canucks’ fan base are indeed a “ruthless” bunch, as their long history of “turning on their own” attests. Nonetheless, I was also at the ’04 playoffs here in Vancouver and Cloutier was without a doubt, the “only” reason they didn’t win it all that year … he was quite simply their Achilles heel. Let it be noted that the majority of those “in attendance” at Rogers Arena these days, are a “lower quality” type of fan, that is if they’re a fan at all ? The knowledgeable, decent, values-driven Canuck fan is nowadays to be found “outside” of the city for the most part … and they no longer attend games like they used to.

5. highlander24 - Aug 4, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Without Quick the Kings don’t even get into the playoffs and thus don’t win the Stanley Cup. He led in virtually every stat and had the season of his life, what any goaltender would envy and want. Henrik got the regular season Vezina but wasn’t good enough to win the big silver one. Quick was, is and always will be gold. How is he overrated?

• blomfeld - Aug 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Well said Highlander ! … Jonathan Quick is without a doubt the “King of Kings” ! … and he’s the one player we could never afford to loose, nor will we ! :) … these comments like “over-rated” and “give it time” amount to nothing more than “cries of despair” by people who wish that Quick was playing for their team ! …

GO QUICK GO !!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

• mpg44 - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM

There are no”cries of despair ” . It takes more then one good year ( no matter how good that ONE year was) to achieve any where remotely close to the status of legend. Remember J. S. guigere , had a great year in the post season , became the most coveted net minder that year , and has not done squat since that one year . So I guess by your standards he would right on the ledgens list with Quick ? I and so many other hockey fans will be ” quick” to point out to you that the answer is no. Here is some advice , it takes moe then one record to get in the hall of fame!!

• blomfeld - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Nobody said Hall of Fame …

Listen “miles per gallon” … this article is about some gay “fantasy” team, not the NHL’s hall of fame ! I know perfectly well that what Quick and the Kings did was only one year … and that it takes “many” such years before you can be entered into a conversation with the likes of Orr and Gretzky. Nonetheless, I don’t care for your “tone” at all, as you come across like another Luongo apologist ? What is it with you people ? Why do you have to begrudge others, where you have failed ? Is it not the norm for reasonable people to applaud and appreciate great achievement ? All I can say is, the sooner Luongo is gone from the Western Conference the better ! :)

• mpg44 - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I really don’t care if you ” like” my tone told or not , guess the truth hurts . If you had actually read the others comments in this blog you would know two things . 1, that the topic of discussion is if fact about quick being on a list with true legends when clearly he is no where even in their league . 2 , you would have also realized that I’m for the devils , as they actually do have a legend in net . I also said in another area that the ” team ” had a good year , quick was nothing short of average without the support the other players did in front of him. As for louongo , I couldn’t care any less about a washed up kinda- sorta – was – has been , that will probably be how quick Is remembered!! So think first when before you open your mouth you newbie to this sport since you are apparently a kings fan . Maybe , just maybe you could actually learn something , but then again you just jumped onto the kings bandwagon so your obviously not that intelligent !!

• mpg44 - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Oh and by the way , about that ” where others have failed part” …..open your mouth after your FOURTH cup , till then STFU!!! You blowhole !! How’s that for tone!!

6. theawesomersfranchise - Aug 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

PIM’s being a positive in fantasy is a bad joke, I guess Fumbles and Errors should be a positive in fantasy Football and Baseball.

Gave up using PIM’s in fantasy hockey in the 90′s, right around the same time we realized roto was inferior to scoring

Why? because you end up having guys like Kevin Stevens on the all time fantasy hockey list….

7. hallsy19 - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

What about Tim Thomas, Regular season 2010-2011 = 35 wins, 2.00 GAA, .938 SV% (Highest all time), 9 shut outs, Stanley Cup, Vezina Trophy, Conn Smythe.

• mpg44 - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM

You will have to forgive kings fans for their ignorance ….. They are new at this !!

8. mpg44 - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Ok…. One name for you . Here is a hint . The greatest goalie of all time. That’s right. 3 cups and 4 vezinas and gold medal in th Olympics. As for quick , yea , he had a good year . The ” team ” had a good year. That’s just the point , the ” team” . No one person was truly a stand out . Here is a most likely projection about quick , a one hit wonder. Just like so many before and so many to follow. It takes a lot more then one cup and one good year to achieve legends status . It’s insulting to put Quick in any list that includes names such as Gretzky , Orr, or Broduer .

• blomfeld - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

“It’s insulting to put Quick in any list that includes names such as Brodeur” …

I seriously don’t get it ? Is this website like some kind of “reverse psychology” forum or something ? Look, Quick met Brodeur in the Stanley Cup final this year and he defeated him in convincing fashion ! … what more can a man do ? Anyway, for someone claiming to be as passionate for someone as you claim to be, it might be an idea to learn first how to spell your hero’s name correctly ! … just who the hell is “Broduer” ? ….

• mpg44 - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Well that comment just clearly shows you know absolutely nothing about this sport , go read some books you ignorant blowhole. Look up the name Martin Broduer , HE holds just about every record a goalie can have . Quick cant even hold his jock!!

• mpg44 - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I guess next your gonna tell us that Brown can run circles around Stan Mikita ! That would be the day!!

• mpg44 - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

What more can a man do …. Win three more !!

9. mpg44 - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM

And Marty is good , but my dad is my hero!!

• blomfeld - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

“my dad is my hero!!” …

now that’s a “quality” comment which gets a thumbs up from me ! :)

10. 2012stanleycup - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Winning the Stanley Cup is the greatest thing to ever happen to this kings fan. But let’s not fool ourselves and make all Kings fans look stupid. Any one with any hockey knowledge knows what it takes to win it all. I’ve waited a long time, spent thousdands of dollars, and held my head high waiting for this day to come. Quick had a phenonimal year no doubt, Brown was steam rolling opponents as he should, and Kopitar was finally showing everyone what we all knew he could do. Having said that though I know it was more than that. It’s bounces that go your way. It’s a belief and confidence in winning and having every player on the same page willing to do whatever it takes to bring home that cup. I for one intend to enjoy this year it was our time and if it doesn’t happen again in my lifetime I’m ok with that becasue I was there and 6-11-12 will always be one of the greatest days in my life. Another cup will be icing on my cake but let’s face it it will never be done in the record fashion as this Cup was won! We’ll see what 2013 brings with the whole team returning but honestly repeats for the cup are a rarity. Good luck to your team and here’s hoping that Quick proves he’s not a one hit wonder! As always I believe!

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches