Aug 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
42-35-5, 89 points. 10th in Western Conference, fourth in Pacific Division.
13th overall – Radek Faksa (C – Kitchener Rangers – OHL)
Dallas’ season started off with the team looking like one eager to avenge their missed opportunity to make the playoffs.
They were on top of the West after a month, on top of their division after two months, but once the calendar flipped to 2012, things got very average. The Stars ultimately finished six points out of the playoffs in what turned out to be tougher-than-it-appeared Pacific Division.
Loui Eriksson proved he’s the team’s best player while Jamie Benn is their emerging superstar. Michael Ryder also stunned many by potting 35 goals. Unfortunately for Dallas, those three along with Mike Ribeiro turned out to be most of their offense. Eric Nystrom’s 16 goals turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
Dallas is going back to the future by adding a pack of 40-plus guys. Jagr and Whitney should help pick up the offense and Roy will provide them with a solid playmaker. A healthy year from captain Brenden Morrow would be a major plus.
Where Dallas has the most questions is in their depth. Young defensemen like Philip Larsen and Brenden Dillon may get a chance very quickly to prove their worth. Alex Goligoski may be a man on an island when it comes to generating blue line offense otherwise.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Stars’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
(Photo: Dallas Stars’ website)
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)