Aug 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
42-35-5, 89 points. 10th in Western Conference, fourth in Pacific Division.
13th overall – Radek Faksa (C – Kitchener Rangers – OHL)
Dallas’ season started off with the team looking like one eager to avenge their missed opportunity to make the playoffs.
They were on top of the West after a month, on top of their division after two months, but once the calendar flipped to 2012, things got very average. The Stars ultimately finished six points out of the playoffs in what turned out to be tougher-than-it-appeared Pacific Division.
Loui Eriksson proved he’s the team’s best player while Jamie Benn is their emerging superstar. Michael Ryder also stunned many by potting 35 goals. Unfortunately for Dallas, those three along with Mike Ribeiro turned out to be most of their offense. Eric Nystrom’s 16 goals turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
Dallas is going back to the future by adding a pack of 40-plus guys. Jagr and Whitney should help pick up the offense and Roy will provide them with a solid playmaker. A healthy year from captain Brenden Morrow would be a major plus.
Where Dallas has the most questions is in their depth. Young defensemen like Philip Larsen and Brenden Dillon may get a chance very quickly to prove their worth. Alex Goligoski may be a man on an island when it comes to generating blue line offense otherwise.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Stars’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
(Photo: Dallas Stars’ website)
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 6
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 5
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 33
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 46
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (46)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)