Aug 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
42-35-5, 89 points. 10th in Western Conference, fourth in Pacific Division.
13th overall – Radek Faksa (C – Kitchener Rangers – OHL)
Dallas’ season started off with the team looking like one eager to avenge their missed opportunity to make the playoffs.
They were on top of the West after a month, on top of their division after two months, but once the calendar flipped to 2012, things got very average. The Stars ultimately finished six points out of the playoffs in what turned out to be tougher-than-it-appeared Pacific Division.
Loui Eriksson proved he’s the team’s best player while Jamie Benn is their emerging superstar. Michael Ryder also stunned many by potting 35 goals. Unfortunately for Dallas, those three along with Mike Ribeiro turned out to be most of their offense. Eric Nystrom’s 16 goals turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
Dallas is going back to the future by adding a pack of 40-plus guys. Jagr and Whitney should help pick up the offense and Roy will provide them with a solid playmaker. A healthy year from captain Brenden Morrow would be a major plus.
Where Dallas has the most questions is in their depth. Young defensemen like Philip Larsen and Brenden Dillon may get a chance very quickly to prove their worth. Alex Goligoski may be a man on an island when it comes to generating blue line offense otherwise.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Stars’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
(Photo: Dallas Stars’ website)
- Mike Richards clears waivers 15
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 11
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)