Aug 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
42-35-5, 89 points. 10th in Western Conference, fourth in Pacific Division.
13th overall – Radek Faksa (C – Kitchener Rangers – OHL)
Dallas’ season started off with the team looking like one eager to avenge their missed opportunity to make the playoffs.
They were on top of the West after a month, on top of their division after two months, but once the calendar flipped to 2012, things got very average. The Stars ultimately finished six points out of the playoffs in what turned out to be tougher-than-it-appeared Pacific Division.
Loui Eriksson proved he’s the team’s best player while Jamie Benn is their emerging superstar. Michael Ryder also stunned many by potting 35 goals. Unfortunately for Dallas, those three along with Mike Ribeiro turned out to be most of their offense. Eric Nystrom’s 16 goals turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
Dallas is going back to the future by adding a pack of 40-plus guys. Jagr and Whitney should help pick up the offense and Roy will provide them with a solid playmaker. A healthy year from captain Brenden Morrow would be a major plus.
Where Dallas has the most questions is in their depth. Young defensemen like Philip Larsen and Brenden Dillon may get a chance very quickly to prove their worth. Alex Goligoski may be a man on an island when it comes to generating blue line offense otherwise.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Stars’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
(Photo: Dallas Stars’ website)
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 25
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 12
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)