Aug 3, 2012, 2:28 PM EST
Many Philly fans were left feeling sad about seeing Jaromir Jagr leave the team to sign a one-year deal with the Dallas Stars.
According to Pavel Lysenkov of SovSport, via Dmitry Chesnokov at Yahoo! Sports, Jagr wanted badly to stick around for another year in Philadelphia… He just didn’t want to wait out the summer for a new contract offer.
“I really liked it in Philadelphia, I wanted to stay there. But the Flyers started hunting for the big players on the market — Zach Parise, Ryan Suter. They needed some money under the cap and they said ‘Wait a little, Jaromir…’ And I didn’t want to wait. This is when Dallas came through.”
Dallas came through all right with a one-year, $4.5 million deal for the future Hall Of Famer. For what it’s worth Flyers fans, Jagr leaves Philly with a special feeling for the team.
“I have never seen a team like the Flyers. Everyone keeps together. Players understand the coach immediately. The year was such that there was nothing to complain about. We played some wonderful hockey. Just remember the series against Pittsburgh in the first round.”
One final jab at the Penguins, of course.
If the Hockey Hall of Fame were like the Baseball Hall of Fame, Jagr might go in as a Flyer just to spite them once and for all.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)