Aug 3, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
Many Philly fans were left feeling sad about seeing Jaromir Jagr leave the team to sign a one-year deal with the Dallas Stars.
According to Pavel Lysenkov of SovSport, via Dmitry Chesnokov at Yahoo! Sports, Jagr wanted badly to stick around for another year in Philadelphia… He just didn’t want to wait out the summer for a new contract offer.
“I really liked it in Philadelphia, I wanted to stay there. But the Flyers started hunting for the big players on the market — Zach Parise, Ryan Suter. They needed some money under the cap and they said ‘Wait a little, Jaromir…’ And I didn’t want to wait. This is when Dallas came through.”
Dallas came through all right with a one-year, $4.5 million deal for the future Hall Of Famer. For what it’s worth Flyers fans, Jagr leaves Philly with a special feeling for the team.
“I have never seen a team like the Flyers. Everyone keeps together. Players understand the coach immediately. The year was such that there was nothing to complain about. We played some wonderful hockey. Just remember the series against Pittsburgh in the first round.”
One final jab at the Penguins, of course.
If the Hockey Hall of Fame were like the Baseball Hall of Fame, Jagr might go in as a Flyer just to spite them once and for all.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 0
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 23
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 39
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 152
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)