Aug 3, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
Many Philly fans were left feeling sad about seeing Jaromir Jagr leave the team to sign a one-year deal with the Dallas Stars.
According to Pavel Lysenkov of SovSport, via Dmitry Chesnokov at Yahoo! Sports, Jagr wanted badly to stick around for another year in Philadelphia… He just didn’t want to wait out the summer for a new contract offer.
“I really liked it in Philadelphia, I wanted to stay there. But the Flyers started hunting for the big players on the market — Zach Parise, Ryan Suter. They needed some money under the cap and they said ‘Wait a little, Jaromir…’ And I didn’t want to wait. This is when Dallas came through.”
Dallas came through all right with a one-year, $4.5 million deal for the future Hall Of Famer. For what it’s worth Flyers fans, Jagr leaves Philly with a special feeling for the team.
“I have never seen a team like the Flyers. Everyone keeps together. Players understand the coach immediately. The year was such that there was nothing to complain about. We played some wonderful hockey. Just remember the series against Pittsburgh in the first round.”
One final jab at the Penguins, of course.
If the Hockey Hall of Fame were like the Baseball Hall of Fame, Jagr might go in as a Flyer just to spite them once and for all.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 5
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 7
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)