Aug 3, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
Many Philly fans were left feeling sad about seeing Jaromir Jagr leave the team to sign a one-year deal with the Dallas Stars.
According to Pavel Lysenkov of SovSport, via Dmitry Chesnokov at Yahoo! Sports, Jagr wanted badly to stick around for another year in Philadelphia… He just didn’t want to wait out the summer for a new contract offer.
“I really liked it in Philadelphia, I wanted to stay there. But the Flyers started hunting for the big players on the market — Zach Parise, Ryan Suter. They needed some money under the cap and they said ‘Wait a little, Jaromir…’ And I didn’t want to wait. This is when Dallas came through.”
Dallas came through all right with a one-year, $4.5 million deal for the future Hall Of Famer. For what it’s worth Flyers fans, Jagr leaves Philly with a special feeling for the team.
“I have never seen a team like the Flyers. Everyone keeps together. Players understand the coach immediately. The year was such that there was nothing to complain about. We played some wonderful hockey. Just remember the series against Pittsburgh in the first round.”
One final jab at the Penguins, of course.
If the Hockey Hall of Fame were like the Baseball Hall of Fame, Jagr might go in as a Flyer just to spite them once and for all.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 0
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 11
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 15
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)