Aug 3, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
Many Philly fans were left feeling sad about seeing Jaromir Jagr leave the team to sign a one-year deal with the Dallas Stars.
According to Pavel Lysenkov of SovSport, via Dmitry Chesnokov at Yahoo! Sports, Jagr wanted badly to stick around for another year in Philadelphia… He just didn’t want to wait out the summer for a new contract offer.
“I really liked it in Philadelphia, I wanted to stay there. But the Flyers started hunting for the big players on the market — Zach Parise, Ryan Suter. They needed some money under the cap and they said ‘Wait a little, Jaromir…’ And I didn’t want to wait. This is when Dallas came through.”
Dallas came through all right with a one-year, $4.5 million deal for the future Hall Of Famer. For what it’s worth Flyers fans, Jagr leaves Philly with a special feeling for the team.
“I have never seen a team like the Flyers. Everyone keeps together. Players understand the coach immediately. The year was such that there was nothing to complain about. We played some wonderful hockey. Just remember the series against Pittsburgh in the first round.”
One final jab at the Penguins, of course.
If the Hockey Hall of Fame were like the Baseball Hall of Fame, Jagr might go in as a Flyer just to spite them once and for all.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)