Aug 2, 2012, 8:55 PM EST
If we learned one thing about the Buffalo Sabres last season it’s that they are Ryan Miller‘s team and all their promising youngsters and expensive signings hasn’t changed that. The rest of the team isn’t inconsequential — far from it — but by far their most important player is still the man between the pipes.
That became evident last season when Ryan Miller was sidelined with a concussion early in the campaign. For all Jhonas Enroth‘s promise, he wasn’t quite ready to carry the Buffalo Sabres in Miller’s absence. Worse, the rest of the team wasn’t able to bail Miller out when he initially struggled after returning in early December.
Miller’s GAA dropped to an ugly 3.12 after an 8-3 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Dec. 17.
As the Buffalo News reported, Sabres owner Terry Pegula made a sarcastic comment at the expense of his goaltenders following the contest and Miller admitted that he needed to work through “some bad habits.”
Perhaps missing roughly a month early on in the season messed with his rhythm, but regardless, it would be another month before he turned things around. The good news is that when he finally did bounce back, he was as dominant as ever.
Miller had a 19-6-5 record, 2.08 GAA, and .931 save percentage in 31 games after the All-Star break.
He still defines the Sabres, but given the unusual nature of his 2011-12 campaign, we’re not sure that last season defines him. If his final months are any indication, Miller is perfectly capable of bouncing back in 2012-13 with an all-star caliber showing — and that, more then anything else, would be the key to the Buffalo Sabres finally living up to the high expectations thrust upon them.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)