Aug 2, 2012, 11:04 PM EDT
Following Tim Thomas‘ decision to take a year off, all eyes in Boston will be on Tuukka Rask this season. Rask has served as Thomas’ understudy for three seasons, but now he’ll be the starting goaltender and Boston doesn’t have a safety net in case he falters.
Rask signed a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Boston Bruins over the summer and, as the Boston Globe reported, he recently returned from Finland for the first time since agreeing to that extension. The question of whether or not Thomas’ actions surprised him naturally came up.
“I wasn’t expecting him to do that, obviously,” said Rask. “But I really appreciate what he’s done and I appreciate his decision to want to be with the family and to take some time off hockey. It really didn’t shock me that much, but it’s more like I am sad to see him leave because we had a real good connection going on. But I am sure he is happy where he is and gets to spend time with his family.”
Rask hasn’t ruled out the possibility of Thomas returning, but is ultimately focused on just doing his job regardless of the circumstances.
The subject of his contract also came up. The Boston Bruins had interest in signing him to a longer deal, but Rask seems happy with the contract’s length.
“Sometimes,” he said, “you have to roll the dice a bit and see what happens.”
Should he excel in 2012-13 — and there certainly are reasons to be optimistic about his chances — he should end up with a far more lucrative deal.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)