Aug 2, 2012, 10:10 PM EST
If you heard that and took it as a sign that Kesler might still be ready for the start of the season, you should hear what his agent, Kurt Overhardt had to say.
“It’s not happening,” Overhardt said. “He’s not ahead of schedule and there’s no rushing him back. He’s on course to return in December and he’s not returning until he’s 100 per cent. Don’t expect him until December.”
According to Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman, Kesler also underwent minor wrist surgery.
“He had been experiencing some mild discomfort and had some tendon issues that needed to be cleaned up,” Gilman said.
Although Gillis previously argued that Kesler had “no excuses” for his disappointing 2011-12 campaign, it’s not hard to buy into the idea that these injuries impacted his play.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)