Aug 2, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
For what seemed like forever (it was actually two years), we heard about how Cody Hodgson would be the kid who’d be the next big thing out of Vancouver. He was their first-round pick in 2008 and when he finally arrived late in the 2010-11 season, hype reached its peak.
Hype didn’t translate into results, however, and on a loaded Canucks team Hodgson found it frustrating playing on the third or fourth line. Issues behind the scenes seemed to pile up and he was sent to Buffalo at the trade deadline. While Sabres coach Lindy Ruff bounced Hodgson up and down the lineup in his 20 games with Buffalo, he enters this season with a real opportunity.
With Derek Roy now in Dallas and Steve Ott taking up residence as a potential center or winger, Hodgson’s playmaking potential has a huge opportunity to grow. After all, the Sabres have a host of guys that can finish. Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, Drew Stafford, and Tyler Ennis were all double-digit goal scorers last season. Vanek, Pominville, and Stafford are all former 30-goal guys.
If Hodgson can take charge, he’s got a shot to be their No. 1 center. With 2012 first-round picks Mikhail Grigorenko and Zemgus Girgensons, the Sabres won’t be short on centers for long, but for now it’s up to Hodgson to show that the hype wasn’t all for naught.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)