Aug 2, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The builder of Barclays Center in Brooklyn really wants to have the New York Islanders call his arena home.
Bruce Ratner tells Denis Hamill of the New York Daily News that while having the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets make his new urban palace their home turf is great, adding a once proud NHL franchise to his list of tenants would be perfect.
“And I am trying like hell to get the Islanders to make Barclays Center their new hockey home,” says Ratner, sweeping his hand across the big arena where workers in cherry-picker buckets installed acoustic panels on the domed ceiling as others installed black seats. “They will play a pre-season game here against the Devils.”
If that preseason game doesn’t wind up canceled by a lockout, it’ll make for an intriguing audition for the NHL there. The one issue that sticks out is how it only holds roughly 14,500 for hockey and the quality of the sight lines has come into question. If it all plays out well with minimal issues, Isles owner Charles Wang will have a heck of an option to play in his hopes to keep the Islanders in New York.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)