Aug 2, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
The builder of Barclays Center in Brooklyn really wants to have the New York Islanders call his arena home.
Bruce Ratner tells Denis Hamill of the New York Daily News that while having the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets make his new urban palace their home turf is great, adding a once proud NHL franchise to his list of tenants would be perfect.
“And I am trying like hell to get the Islanders to make Barclays Center their new hockey home,” says Ratner, sweeping his hand across the big arena where workers in cherry-picker buckets installed acoustic panels on the domed ceiling as others installed black seats. “They will play a pre-season game here against the Devils.”
If that preseason game doesn’t wind up canceled by a lockout, it’ll make for an intriguing audition for the NHL there. The one issue that sticks out is how it only holds roughly 14,500 for hockey and the quality of the sight lines has come into question. If it all plays out well with minimal issues, Isles owner Charles Wang will have a heck of an option to play in his hopes to keep the Islanders in New York.
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 17
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 70
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)