Aug 1, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
On Saturday, Sept. 29 at the First Niagara Center in Buffalo, 40 of the top prospects in the United States will participate in the inaugural CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game.
While the game will feature serveral of Central Scouting’s “A List” prospects for the 2013 NHL Draft, most eyes will be fixated on one in particular — Seth Jones.
Jones, the son of former NBA forward Popeye Jones, is considered to be the best defenseman available in 2013 and one of the top two eligible picks, along with QMHJL Halifax sniper Nathan MacKinnon.
“If there’s a defenseman better than him next season, I’m looking forward to seeing him,” NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards told NHL.com. “He’s a solid, big guy, who handles the puck very well. He’s also very smart.”
Danton Cole, the former NHLer that coached Jones with the under-18 national development team, echoed those sentiments.
“There’s an amazing feel for the game of hockey within him” Cole said. “He has that sixth sense where to go. He knows how to create space and, defensively, knows when to jump in and when not to go.”
Other A-Listers scheduled to play in the prospects game include Ross Olsson (RW, Williston Northampton), Ryan Hartman (RW, Plymouth), Adam Erne (LW, Quebec), J.T. Compher (LW, USA U-18), Michael Downing (D, Dubuque), Luke Johnson (C, Lincoln) and Ian McCoshen (D, Waterloo).
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (46)