Aug 1, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
On Saturday, Sept. 29 at the First Niagara Center in Buffalo, 40 of the top prospects in the United States will participate in the inaugural CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game.
While the game will feature serveral of Central Scouting’s “A List” prospects for the 2013 NHL Draft, most eyes will be fixated on one in particular — Seth Jones.
Jones, the son of former NBA forward Popeye Jones, is considered to be the best defenseman available in 2013 and one of the top two eligible picks, along with QMHJL Halifax sniper Nathan MacKinnon.
“If there’s a defenseman better than him next season, I’m looking forward to seeing him,” NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards told NHL.com. “He’s a solid, big guy, who handles the puck very well. He’s also very smart.”
Danton Cole, the former NHLer that coached Jones with the under-18 national development team, echoed those sentiments.
“There’s an amazing feel for the game of hockey within him” Cole said. “He has that sixth sense where to go. He knows how to create space and, defensively, knows when to jump in and when not to go.”
Other A-Listers scheduled to play in the prospects game include Ross Olsson (RW, Williston Northampton), Ryan Hartman (RW, Plymouth), Adam Erne (LW, Quebec), J.T. Compher (LW, USA U-18), Michael Downing (D, Dubuque), Luke Johnson (C, Lincoln) and Ian McCoshen (D, Waterloo).
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 0
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 6
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)