Aug 1, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
While the Montreal Canadiens and RFA defenseman P.K. Subban are locked in contract negotiations, details of the Habs’ offer have started to come out.
According to TSN (by way of RDS), Montreal has offered Subban a two-year deal worth $5.5 million.
Reports suggest both sides are “still far apart” and that the Subban camp is looking for a contract with longer term.
While term is reportedly the sticking point, it’ll be interesting to see what money Subban ultimately agrees to. He just finished playing out a contract that paid $875,000 annually, so the proposed deal would be a significant raise.
Consider their comparables from last season:
Subban (23 years old): 81 games played, 7G-29A-36PTS, 24:18 average TOI
Carlson (22): 82 games played, 9G-23A-32PTS, 21:52 average TOI
Del Zotto (22): 77 games played, 10G-31A-41PTS, 22:26 average TOI
Might be case of each guy waiting for the other dominoes to fall before reaching a deal.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)