Ovechkin discusses Semin, Oates and being a spectator

Aug 1, 2012, 10:18 PM EST

Alex Ovechkin, NHL star and boyfriend of Getty Images

This has been a summer of change for Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin.

He discussed those alterations with The Washington Post. Let’s begin with his thoughts on Alexander Semin‘s departure:

“It was a fun time to play with him,” Ovechkin said. “But how I said before: It’s a business. It’s hockey … Right now, it’s time to move on. We’re not going to cry. We’re not going to be sad.”

Ovechkin didn’t outright say that he’s glad Dale Hunter is gone, but he didn’t hide the fact that he’s pleased that Adam Oates is Washington’s new head coach.

“I think it’s good for us right now, because I think we are more [an] offensive team than [a]defensive team,” Oveckin said. “For me, I don’t want to say [anything] bad, but Dale [is a] great person, great coach, but maybe different people are pretty excited to have him.”

One more abstract change for Ovechkin is playing the role of spectator.

He said watching his girlfriend Maria Kirilenko in the Olympics helps him understand why his family would get nervous watching him perform.

“I say, ‘Why are you nervous? It’s simple,'” Ovechkin said. “Right now, I [am] just watching her play, and I get nervous, because you think, ‘Jesus Christ. Come on. Do something better.’”

Hopefully Ovechkin won’t start yelling “Shooooot!” though.

1. ludacrish05 - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I still watch the game 7 Federov goal at Verizon vs rangers as Ovi skated next to him on the wing to score..

• ravenscaps48 - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I find myself watching that on Youtube ALL THE TIME! Best I’ve ever felt at a hockey game

2. caps247 - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM

That was the loudest I’ve ever heard Verizon Center still to this day.

• ravenscaps48 - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Agreed 100% And it didn’t stop! Everyone stood until the game ended. It is my favorite Caps moment… Until ye get to the SCF’s, I don’t see anything topping it

• jetsflyinghigh - Aug 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM

The loudest I’ve ever heard MSG was when Richards scored with 6.6 seconds left to force OT and then Staal put it home 1:23 into it.

3. brianforster - Aug 2, 2012 at 8:37 AM

hahaha, i love russian players speaking english “jesus christ, come on. do something better” what a supportive boyfriend

4. bobhpine - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM

And that time ovechkin won the cup…awesome…good times

Billy Cundiff and ovechkin are boys I heard

• babykaby - Aug 4, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Why is there always an idiot on every one of these articles that has to ruin the spirit of the comments. You, bobhpine, I’m talking about you. People like you take the joy out of everything. You are one of the problems with today’s world, you just can’t stand to let others have a moment of enjoyment. Go back to the hole you crawled out of.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches