Aug 1, 2012, 10:18 PM EST
This has been a summer of change for Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin.
He discussed those alterations with The Washington Post. Let’s begin with his thoughts on Alexander Semin‘s departure:
“It was a fun time to play with him,” Ovechkin said. “But how I said before: It’s a business. It’s hockey … Right now, it’s time to move on. We’re not going to cry. We’re not going to be sad.”
Ovechkin didn’t outright say that he’s glad Dale Hunter is gone, but he didn’t hide the fact that he’s pleased that Adam Oates is Washington’s new head coach.
“I think it’s good for us right now, because I think we are more [an] offensive team than [a]defensive team,” Oveckin said. “For me, I don’t want to say [anything] bad, but Dale [is a] great person, great coach, but maybe different people are pretty excited to have him.”
One more abstract change for Ovechkin is playing the role of spectator.
He said watching his girlfriend Maria Kirilenko in the Olympics helps him understand why his family would get nervous watching him perform.
“I say, ‘Why are you nervous? It’s simple,'” Ovechkin said. “Right now, I [am] just watching her play, and I get nervous, because you think, ‘Jesus Christ. Come on. Do something better.’”
Hopefully Ovechkin won’t start yelling “Shooooot!” though.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)