Aug 1, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
This has been a summer of change for Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin.
He discussed those alterations with The Washington Post. Let’s begin with his thoughts on Alexander Semin‘s departure:
“It was a fun time to play with him,” Ovechkin said. “But how I said before: It’s a business. It’s hockey … Right now, it’s time to move on. We’re not going to cry. We’re not going to be sad.”
Ovechkin didn’t outright say that he’s glad Dale Hunter is gone, but he didn’t hide the fact that he’s pleased that Adam Oates is Washington’s new head coach.
“I think it’s good for us right now, because I think we are more [an] offensive team than [a]defensive team,” Oveckin said. “For me, I don’t want to say [anything] bad, but Dale [is a] great person, great coach, but maybe different people are pretty excited to have him.”
One more abstract change for Ovechkin is playing the role of spectator.
He said watching his girlfriend Maria Kirilenko in the Olympics helps him understand why his family would get nervous watching him perform.
“I say, ‘Why are you nervous? It’s simple,’” Ovechkin said. “Right now, I [am] just watching her play, and I get nervous, because you think, ‘Jesus Christ. Come on. Do something better.’”
Hopefully Ovechkin won’t start yelling “Shooooot!” though.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner