Aug 1, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick‘s progression from a good goalie to an elite one came on as public a stage as possible.
While the Los Angeles Kings goalie didn’t win the Vezina, few would quibble with Quick’s Conn Smythe + Stanley Cup combo.
To cap things off, the Kings made sure they wouldn’t lose Quick by signing him to a contract extension that’s relatively cheap ($5.8 million cap hit) and risky (10-year deal) at the same time.
Life’s been great for Quick, but it begs the question: can he match or even top last season?
- His career stats are modest (.916 save percentage, 2.30 GAA) compared to his breakthrough run.
- The two most recent dominant single seasons by Tim Thomas and Ryan Miller were followed by considerable letdowns. (Though Thomas’ issues were largely off the ice.)
- Long-term contracts are risky to begin with, but they seem especially harsh for goalies.
- Quick is in his prime at 26.
- The same stout Kings lineup will remain more or less intact.
- Darryl Sutter won’t take kindly to a lack of focus.
- There’s at least one obvious goal beyond defending the Cup: a Vezina trophy.
- If Jonathan Bernier isn’t traded, he could either provide Quick with competition or steal some starts. (Or a little of both.)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)