Aug 1, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick‘s progression from a good goalie to an elite one came on as public a stage as possible.
While the Los Angeles Kings goalie didn’t win the Vezina, few would quibble with Quick’s Conn Smythe + Stanley Cup combo.
To cap things off, the Kings made sure they wouldn’t lose Quick by signing him to a contract extension that’s relatively cheap ($5.8 million cap hit) and risky (10-year deal) at the same time.
Life’s been great for Quick, but it begs the question: can he match or even top last season?
- His career stats are modest (.916 save percentage, 2.30 GAA) compared to his breakthrough run.
- The two most recent dominant single seasons by Tim Thomas and Ryan Miller were followed by considerable letdowns. (Though Thomas’ issues were largely off the ice.)
- Long-term contracts are risky to begin with, but they seem especially harsh for goalies.
- Quick is in his prime at 26.
- The same stout Kings lineup will remain more or less intact.
- Darryl Sutter won’t take kindly to a lack of focus.
- There’s at least one obvious goal beyond defending the Cup: a Vezina trophy.
- If Jonathan Bernier isn’t traded, he could either provide Quick with competition or steal some starts. (Or a little of both.)
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)