Aug 1, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick‘s progression from a good goalie to an elite one came on as public a stage as possible.
While the Los Angeles Kings goalie didn’t win the Vezina, few would quibble with Quick’s Conn Smythe + Stanley Cup combo.
To cap things off, the Kings made sure they wouldn’t lose Quick by signing him to a contract extension that’s relatively cheap ($5.8 million cap hit) and risky (10-year deal) at the same time.
Life’s been great for Quick, but it begs the question: can he match or even top last season?
- His career stats are modest (.916 save percentage, 2.30 GAA) compared to his breakthrough run.
- The two most recent dominant single seasons by Tim Thomas and Ryan Miller were followed by considerable letdowns. (Though Thomas’ issues were largely off the ice.)
- Long-term contracts are risky to begin with, but they seem especially harsh for goalies.
- Quick is in his prime at 26.
- The same stout Kings lineup will remain more or less intact.
- Darryl Sutter won’t take kindly to a lack of focus.
- There’s at least one obvious goal beyond defending the Cup: a Vezina trophy.
- If Jonathan Bernier isn’t traded, he could either provide Quick with competition or steal some starts. (Or a little of both.)
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)