Aug 1, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
Jonathan Quick‘s progression from a good goalie to an elite one came on as public a stage as possible.
While the Los Angeles Kings goalie didn’t win the Vezina, few would quibble with Quick’s Conn Smythe + Stanley Cup combo.
To cap things off, the Kings made sure they wouldn’t lose Quick by signing him to a contract extension that’s relatively cheap ($5.8 million cap hit) and risky (10-year deal) at the same time.
Life’s been great for Quick, but it begs the question: can he match or even top last season?
- His career stats are modest (.916 save percentage, 2.30 GAA) compared to his breakthrough run.
- The two most recent dominant single seasons by Tim Thomas and Ryan Miller were followed by considerable letdowns. (Though Thomas’ issues were largely off the ice.)
- Long-term contracts are risky to begin with, but they seem especially harsh for goalies.
- Quick is in his prime at 26.
- The same stout Kings lineup will remain more or less intact.
- Darryl Sutter won’t take kindly to a lack of focus.
- There’s at least one obvious goal beyond defending the Cup: a Vezina trophy.
- If Jonathan Bernier isn’t traded, he could either provide Quick with competition or steal some starts. (Or a little of both.)
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 9
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 8
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)