Aug 1, 2012, 10:42 AM EDT
What was rumored to be in the making is now official — the Philadelphia Flyers have re-upped with head coach Peter Laviolette on a multi-year extension.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports it’s a two-year extension. Given Laviolette had one year remaining on his current deal, this new contract will see him through the 2014-15 season.
“We are thrilled to have Peter continue his work with our group as we push to compete for the Stanley Cup,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren told the team website. “Peter has done a terrific job for us and is very deserving of this extension.”
The extension is not surprising given what Laviolette’s accomplished since taking Philly’s head coaching gig in Dec. 2009.
He’s been to a Stanley Cup finals, posted a 122-73-26 record and guided the Flyers to the third-most wins in the Eastern Conference since being hired — only Pittsburgh and Washington have more, with 127 each.
His playoff success has been equally impressive.
Under his watch, the Flyers have been the only team in the league to reach the second round of the playoffs (or further) in each of the last three seasons.
The Flyers have participated in eight playoff series in that time, more than any other team.
With the extension, Laviolette will now set aim at moving up the Flyers’ all-time coaching wins list. Next in striking distance is Ken Hitchcock (131 wins), followed by Pat Quinn (141) and Mike Keenan (190).
Fred Shero is the winningest coach in franchise history, with 308.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)