Jul 31, 2012, 9:43 PM EDT
Earlier today, CBC’s Tim Wharnsby tweeted the Anaheim Ducks agreed to terms with defenseman Kyle Cumiskey on a one-year, two-way deal.
Just one problem — earlier this month, it was reported Cumiskey had already signed for 2012-13…with Swedish Elite League outfit Modo.
So, what gives?
According to Lisa Dilman of the LA Times and Eric Stephens of the OC Register, it’s complicated. Turns out the one-year, two-way deal deal was awarded to Cumiskey by an arbitrator, this after Anaheim gave him a qualifying offer on June 25.
Cumiskey, though, is challenging the ability of the Ducks to take him to arbitration in the first place.
It seems as though Anaheim offered the deal merely to retain Cumiskey’s rights, but it doesn’t seen as though Cumiskey wants anything to do with the Ducks (The Ducks apparently know he wants to play overseas this year.)
The Modo deal was signed after a 2011-12 campaign that saw Cumiskey traded Anaheim in early October and not play a single minute at the NHL level.
Instead, he spent his entire season with AHL Syracuse, an odd development for a 25-year-old that’s played 132 NHL contests (and had 20 points in 61 games in 2009-10.)
We’ll have more on this story when further information is released.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)