Jul 31, 2012, 9:43 PM EST
Earlier today, CBC’s Tim Wharnsby tweeted the Anaheim Ducks agreed to terms with defenseman Kyle Cumiskey on a one-year, two-way deal.
Just one problem — earlier this month, it was reported Cumiskey had already signed for 2012-13…with Swedish Elite League outfit Modo.
So, what gives?
According to Lisa Dilman of the LA Times and Eric Stephens of the OC Register, it’s complicated. Turns out the one-year, two-way deal deal was awarded to Cumiskey by an arbitrator, this after Anaheim gave him a qualifying offer on June 25.
Cumiskey, though, is challenging the ability of the Ducks to take him to arbitration in the first place.
It seems as though Anaheim offered the deal merely to retain Cumiskey’s rights, but it doesn’t seen as though Cumiskey wants anything to do with the Ducks (The Ducks apparently know he wants to play overseas this year.)
The Modo deal was signed after a 2011-12 campaign that saw Cumiskey traded Anaheim in early October and not play a single minute at the NHL level.
Instead, he spent his entire season with AHL Syracuse, an odd development for a 25-year-old that’s played 132 NHL contests (and had 20 points in 61 games in 2009-10.)
We’ll have more on this story when further information is released.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)