Jul 31, 2012, 9:43 PM EDT
Earlier today, CBC’s Tim Wharnsby tweeted the Anaheim Ducks agreed to terms with defenseman Kyle Cumiskey on a one-year, two-way deal.
Just one problem — earlier this month, it was reported Cumiskey had already signed for 2012-13…with Swedish Elite League outfit Modo.
So, what gives?
According to Lisa Dilman of the LA Times and Eric Stephens of the OC Register, it’s complicated. Turns out the one-year, two-way deal deal was awarded to Cumiskey by an arbitrator, this after Anaheim gave him a qualifying offer on June 25.
Cumiskey, though, is challenging the ability of the Ducks to take him to arbitration in the first place.
It seems as though Anaheim offered the deal merely to retain Cumiskey’s rights, but it doesn’t seen as though Cumiskey wants anything to do with the Ducks (The Ducks apparently know he wants to play overseas this year.)
The Modo deal was signed after a 2011-12 campaign that saw Cumiskey traded Anaheim in early October and not play a single minute at the NHL level.
Instead, he spent his entire season with AHL Syracuse, an odd development for a 25-year-old that’s played 132 NHL contests (and had 20 points in 61 games in 2009-10.)
We’ll have more on this story when further information is released.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)