Jul 31, 2012, 9:43 PM EDT
Earlier today, CBC’s Tim Wharnsby tweeted the Anaheim Ducks agreed to terms with defenseman Kyle Cumiskey on a one-year, two-way deal.
Just one problem — earlier this month, it was reported Cumiskey had already signed for 2012-13…with Swedish Elite League outfit Modo.
So, what gives?
According to Lisa Dilman of the LA Times and Eric Stephens of the OC Register, it’s complicated. Turns out the one-year, two-way deal deal was awarded to Cumiskey by an arbitrator, this after Anaheim gave him a qualifying offer on June 25.
Cumiskey, though, is challenging the ability of the Ducks to take him to arbitration in the first place.
It seems as though Anaheim offered the deal merely to retain Cumiskey’s rights, but it doesn’t seen as though Cumiskey wants anything to do with the Ducks (The Ducks apparently know he wants to play overseas this year.)
The Modo deal was signed after a 2011-12 campaign that saw Cumiskey traded Anaheim in early October and not play a single minute at the NHL level.
Instead, he spent his entire season with AHL Syracuse, an odd development for a 25-year-old that’s played 132 NHL contests (and had 20 points in 61 games in 2009-10.)
We’ll have more on this story when further information is released.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 12
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 65
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)