Jul 31, 2012, 9:43 PM EST
Earlier today, CBC’s Tim Wharnsby tweeted the Anaheim Ducks agreed to terms with defenseman Kyle Cumiskey on a one-year, two-way deal.
Just one problem — earlier this month, it was reported Cumiskey had already signed for 2012-13…with Swedish Elite League outfit Modo.
So, what gives?
According to Lisa Dilman of the LA Times and Eric Stephens of the OC Register, it’s complicated. Turns out the one-year, two-way deal deal was awarded to Cumiskey by an arbitrator, this after Anaheim gave him a qualifying offer on June 25.
Cumiskey, though, is challenging the ability of the Ducks to take him to arbitration in the first place.
It seems as though Anaheim offered the deal merely to retain Cumiskey’s rights, but it doesn’t seen as though Cumiskey wants anything to do with the Ducks (The Ducks apparently know he wants to play overseas this year.)
The Modo deal was signed after a 2011-12 campaign that saw Cumiskey traded Anaheim in early October and not play a single minute at the NHL level.
Instead, he spent his entire season with AHL Syracuse, an odd development for a 25-year-old that’s played 132 NHL contests (and had 20 points in 61 games in 2009-10.)
We’ll have more on this story when further information is released.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)