Jul 31, 2012, 3:50 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have re-upped with agitator extraordinaire Patrick Kaleta on a multi-year deal.
According to John Vogl of the Buffalo News, it’s a three-year deal worth $3.825 million — so, an average annual value of $1.275 million.
Kaleta, 26, has spent all six of his NHL seasons with the Sabres organization, appearing in a career-high 63 games last year (while posting a career-high 116 penalty minutes.)
One of the league’s premier pests, Kaleta gained infamy last season upon being suspended four games for headbutting Philly’s Jakub Voracek. During NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan’s suspension explanation, it was revealed Kaleta was something of a serial headbutter.
Retaining Kaleta is part of Buffalo’s offseason initiative to become tougher to play against. Earlier, GM Darcy Regier traded Derek Roy to Dallas in exchange for Steve Ott and Adam Pardy, the former also regarded as one of the league’s preeminent pests.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)