Jul 31, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have re-upped with agitator extraordinaire Patrick Kaleta on a multi-year deal.
According to John Vogl of the Buffalo News, it’s a three-year deal worth $3.825 million — so, an average annual value of $1.275 million.
Kaleta, 26, has spent all six of his NHL seasons with the Sabres organization, appearing in a career-high 63 games last year (while posting a career-high 116 penalty minutes.)
One of the league’s premier pests, Kaleta gained infamy last season upon being suspended four games for headbutting Philly’s Jakub Voracek. During NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan’s suspension explanation, it was revealed Kaleta was something of a serial headbutter.
Retaining Kaleta is part of Buffalo’s offseason initiative to become tougher to play against. Earlier, GM Darcy Regier traded Derek Roy to Dallas in exchange for Steve Ott and Adam Pardy, the former also regarded as one of the league’s preeminent pests.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic