Jul 31, 2012, 10:20 AM EST
Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson has confirmed he’ll back for another season, saying he’s motivated to keep playing and has “more in the tank to give.”
“I’ve been training for about a month and a half and my body feels a lot further ahead of where it was last year at this point,” Alfredsson told the club’s website. “I expect to come into camp fitter and stronger than I did last year.”
The 39-year-old says he discussed the decision with his family and “we are all on the same page.”
It’s likely Ottawa’s surprisingly successful 2011-12 campaign was a contributing factor to his decision. In January, he said, “The way this season is going, if I’m still healthy after this season, I’m hoping I can go one more. This year has been so good. If we can make the playoffs, that would almost be a dream come true.”
Of course, the Sens did make the playoffs, taking the New York Rangers to seven games in the first round.
Alfredsson has one year left on his contract with a cap hit of $4.875 million but a salary of just $1 million.
In 2011-12, he had 27 goals and 32 assists.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)