Jul 31, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson has confirmed he’ll back for another season, saying he’s motivated to keep playing and has “more in the tank to give.”
“I’ve been training for about a month and a half and my body feels a lot further ahead of where it was last year at this point,” Alfredsson told the club’s website. “I expect to come into camp fitter and stronger than I did last year.”
The 39-year-old says he discussed the decision with his family and “we are all on the same page.”
It’s likely Ottawa’s surprisingly successful 2011-12 campaign was a contributing factor to his decision. In January, he said, “The way this season is going, if I’m still healthy after this season, I’m hoping I can go one more. This year has been so good. If we can make the playoffs, that would almost be a dream come true.”
Of course, the Sens did make the playoffs, taking the New York Rangers to seven games in the first round.
Alfredsson has one year left on his contract with a cap hit of $4.875 million but a salary of just $1 million.
In 2011-12, he had 27 goals and 32 assists.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)