Jul 31, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson has confirmed he’ll back for another season, saying he’s motivated to keep playing and has “more in the tank to give.”
“I’ve been training for about a month and a half and my body feels a lot further ahead of where it was last year at this point,” Alfredsson told the club’s website. “I expect to come into camp fitter and stronger than I did last year.”
The 39-year-old says he discussed the decision with his family and “we are all on the same page.”
It’s likely Ottawa’s surprisingly successful 2011-12 campaign was a contributing factor to his decision. In January, he said, “The way this season is going, if I’m still healthy after this season, I’m hoping I can go one more. This year has been so good. If we can make the playoffs, that would almost be a dream come true.”
Of course, the Sens did make the playoffs, taking the New York Rangers to seven games in the first round.
Alfredsson has one year left on his contract with a cap hit of $4.875 million but a salary of just $1 million.
In 2011-12, he had 27 goals and 32 assists.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)