Jul 31, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson has confirmed he’ll back for another season, saying he’s motivated to keep playing and has “more in the tank to give.”
“I’ve been training for about a month and a half and my body feels a lot further ahead of where it was last year at this point,” Alfredsson told the club’s website. “I expect to come into camp fitter and stronger than I did last year.”
The 39-year-old says he discussed the decision with his family and “we are all on the same page.”
It’s likely Ottawa’s surprisingly successful 2011-12 campaign was a contributing factor to his decision. In January, he said, “The way this season is going, if I’m still healthy after this season, I’m hoping I can go one more. This year has been so good. If we can make the playoffs, that would almost be a dream come true.”
Of course, the Sens did make the playoffs, taking the New York Rangers to seven games in the first round.
Alfredsson has one year left on his contract with a cap hit of $4.875 million but a salary of just $1 million.
In 2011-12, he had 27 goals and 32 assists.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 4
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)