Jul 31, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
42-32-8, 92 points. Second in Southeast Division, seventh in the Eastern Conference.
First round, 11th overall — RW Filip Forsberg (Leksands, Sweden); 16th overall – RW Tom Wilson (Plymouth, OHL)
Despite all the significant changes to the roster and the signing of defenseman Mike Green to a new contract, the biggest move GM George McPhee made this summer might’ve been hiring head coach Adam Oates.
Washington’s transformation from run-and-gun to collapse-and-block since its shock first-round elimination at the hands of the Canadiens two years ago has been nothing short of remarkable. The Caps scored just 222 goals last season, 60 fewer than league-leading Pittsburgh. That compares to the 318 Washington racked up in 2009-10 under head coach Bruce Boudreau, who was fired in November and replaced by Dale Hunter.
Hunter promised the Caps would be “really responsible defensively” and delivered on that promise. In the playoffs, Washington managed to score just over two goals per game, yet with a game plan that saw Alex Ovechkin riding the pine when the team held the slightest of leads, fell one win short of advancing to the conference finals.
There’s not a whole lot more McPhee absolutely has to do before the season starts, though with ample cap space he could make a move should an opportunity arise.
RFA defenseman John Carlsson still needs to be re-signed, but that shouldn’t be a problem.
McPhee might also look at adding another defenseman for depth and/or a scoring winger to replace Semin.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of Washington’s 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)