Jul 31, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
The arena management deal between the NHL and City of Glendale that was set to expire today has been extended another 31 days, reports Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
Glendale city council will meet this afternoon to discuss the ongoing Phoenix Coyotes situation, according to Lisa Halverstadt of the Arizona Republic.
It’s been reported that prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison is $20 million short of the money needed to buy the franchise from the league. However, the extension of the arena-management deal suggests there’s still hope Jamison will be able to close on the purchase.
Yesterday, a judge’s ruling allowed a sales-tax increase to go into effect, with proceeds expected to go towards funding an arena-management deal with Jamison. It’s possible the ruling could help eclipse the $20 million shortfall in investor funds.
Also a good sign for Coyotes fans is the fact captain Shane Doan has yet to sign a contract with another team.
Doan, who wants to remain in the desert if the team is guaranteed to stay put, spoke with Jamison Saturday for an update on the bid.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 8
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 20
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 10
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 64
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 23
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination