Jul 31, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
The arena management deal between the NHL and City of Glendale that was set to expire today has been extended another 31 days, reports Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
Glendale city council will meet this afternoon to discuss the ongoing Phoenix Coyotes situation, according to Lisa Halverstadt of the Arizona Republic.
It’s been reported that prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison is $20 million short of the money needed to buy the franchise from the league. However, the extension of the arena-management deal suggests there’s still hope Jamison will be able to close on the purchase.
Yesterday, a judge’s ruling allowed a sales-tax increase to go into effect, with proceeds expected to go towards funding an arena-management deal with Jamison. It’s possible the ruling could help eclipse the $20 million shortfall in investor funds.
Also a good sign for Coyotes fans is the fact captain Shane Doan has yet to sign a contract with another team.
Doan, who wants to remain in the desert if the team is guaranteed to stay put, spoke with Jamison Saturday for an update on the bid.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)