Jul 31, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
The arena management deal between the NHL and City of Glendale that was set to expire today has been extended another 31 days, reports Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
Glendale city council will meet this afternoon to discuss the ongoing Phoenix Coyotes situation, according to Lisa Halverstadt of the Arizona Republic.
It’s been reported that prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison is $20 million short of the money needed to buy the franchise from the league. However, the extension of the arena-management deal suggests there’s still hope Jamison will be able to close on the purchase.
Yesterday, a judge’s ruling allowed a sales-tax increase to go into effect, with proceeds expected to go towards funding an arena-management deal with Jamison. It’s possible the ruling could help eclipse the $20 million shortfall in investor funds.
Also a good sign for Coyotes fans is the fact captain Shane Doan has yet to sign a contract with another team.
Doan, who wants to remain in the desert if the team is guaranteed to stay put, spoke with Jamison Saturday for an update on the bid.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (43)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)