Jul 31, 2012, 12:12 PM EST
The arena management deal between the NHL and City of Glendale that was set to expire today has been extended another 31 days, reports Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
Glendale city council will meet this afternoon to discuss the ongoing Phoenix Coyotes situation, according to Lisa Halverstadt of the Arizona Republic.
It’s been reported that prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison is $20 million short of the money needed to buy the franchise from the league. However, the extension of the arena-management deal suggests there’s still hope Jamison will be able to close on the purchase.
Yesterday, a judge’s ruling allowed a sales-tax increase to go into effect, with proceeds expected to go towards funding an arena-management deal with Jamison. It’s possible the ruling could help eclipse the $20 million shortfall in investor funds.
Also a good sign for Coyotes fans is the fact captain Shane Doan has yet to sign a contract with another team.
Doan, who wants to remain in the desert if the team is guaranteed to stay put, spoke with Jamison Saturday for an update on the bid.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)