Jul 31, 2012, 12:12 PM EST
The arena management deal between the NHL and City of Glendale that was set to expire today has been extended another 31 days, reports Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
Glendale city council will meet this afternoon to discuss the ongoing Phoenix Coyotes situation, according to Lisa Halverstadt of the Arizona Republic.
It’s been reported that prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison is $20 million short of the money needed to buy the franchise from the league. However, the extension of the arena-management deal suggests there’s still hope Jamison will be able to close on the purchase.
Yesterday, a judge’s ruling allowed a sales-tax increase to go into effect, with proceeds expected to go towards funding an arena-management deal with Jamison. It’s possible the ruling could help eclipse the $20 million shortfall in investor funds.
Also a good sign for Coyotes fans is the fact captain Shane Doan has yet to sign a contract with another team.
Doan, who wants to remain in the desert if the team is guaranteed to stay put, spoke with Jamison Saturday for an update on the bid.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)