Jul 31, 2012, 3:20 PM EST
For your afternoon perusal, NHL.com has put together a good list of 30 unrestricted free agents that are still available.
Not surprisingly, Shane Doan tops the list, but some other intriguing options remain. For example…
Petr Sykora: Played for peanuts last year in his return to the NHL following a season in Europe. The 35-year-old Devils winger proved he can still put the puck in the net, scoring 21 goals during the regular season. However, he struggled to produce during the playoffs, spending time in the press box as a healthy scratch. Sykora has said he wants to return to New Jersey, but so far hasn’t been able to reach a deal.
Kristian Huselius: The 33-year-old winger missed all but two games in 2011-12 – the first 25 he was recovering from pectoral surgery, the last 55 he sat out with a groin tear. Obviously his health is a considerable concern (groin injuries can be especially tough to heal), but Huselius is a six-time 20-goal scorer that could presumably be had for cheap. If he can pass a physical, it might be worth rolling the dice.
Tom Kostopoulos: Another 33-year-old, though a very different player than Huselius. Kostopolous is a tough bottom-six forward that played 81 games for the Flames last season, scoring four times and dishing out 124 hits. He’s not too bad with his fists either. Just ask Kevin Bieksa.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54