Jul 31, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, that squad is the Washington Capitals.
The Caps will be a different-looking team from the one that took to the ice in 2011-12. The new look starts behind the bench, where rookie head coach (and former franchise great) Adam Oates takes over for Dale Hunter, who led the Caps to within a game of last year’s Eastern Conference finals.
Oates will be aided by a pair of new assistants — Calle Johansson and former Caps assistant Tim Hunter — and together, they’ll be in charge of molding a team that lost All-Star defenseman Dennis Wideman and former 40-goal scorer Alex Semin during the offseason.
As for additions — Washington didn’t bring in a ton of new faces this summer, but there are a few. The most notable is Mike Ribeiro, acquired at the draft in exchange for Cody Eakin and a second-round pick. A playmaking center, Ribeiro should slot in nicely on the Capitals’ second line and give them the depth down the middle they lacked last season.
So yeah, stick around throughout the day as we take a closer look at the Washington Capitals. I’m sure we’ll mention Alexander Ovechkin at some point.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)