Jul 31, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Devils prospect Jon Merrill is headed back to Michigan for his junior season, The Detroit News reports.
The 20-year-old defenseman that missed half of the 2011-12 schedule due to a suspension (for “violating team rules”) told Wolverines coach Red Berenson the news Monday morning.
“Jon realized he only played half of the season and he wants to be ready when he makes the move,” said Berenson. “He wants to be competing for an NHL job when he does. He doesn’t want to be playing in the minors. I think it’s the right thing for him.”
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said earlier this month that “whatever happens in the past, is the past” when asked about Merrill’s suspension.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 15
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)