Jul 31, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Devils prospect Jon Merrill is headed back to Michigan for his junior season, The Detroit News reports.
The 20-year-old defenseman that missed half of the 2011-12 schedule due to a suspension (for “violating team rules”) told Wolverines coach Red Berenson the news Monday morning.
“Jon realized he only played half of the season and he wants to be ready when he makes the move,” said Berenson. “He wants to be competing for an NHL job when he does. He doesn’t want to be playing in the minors. I think it’s the right thing for him.”
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said earlier this month that “whatever happens in the past, is the past” when asked about Merrill’s suspension.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 53
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 34
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)