Jul 31, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Devils prospect Jon Merrill is headed back to Michigan for his junior season, The Detroit News reports.
The 20-year-old defenseman that missed half of the 2011-12 schedule due to a suspension (for “violating team rules”) told Wolverines coach Red Berenson the news Monday morning.
“Jon realized he only played half of the season and he wants to be ready when he makes the move,” said Berenson. “He wants to be competing for an NHL job when he does. He doesn’t want to be playing in the minors. I think it’s the right thing for him.”
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said earlier this month that “whatever happens in the past, is the past” when asked about Merrill’s suspension.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)