Jul 30, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
37-29-16, 90 points. Second in Northwest Division, ninth in the Western Conference.
First round, 21st overall — C Mark Jankowski (Stanstead College)
Jay Feaster promised changes after his team missed the playoffs for the third straight time, and the general manager stuck to his word. He acquired and signed Wideman to a big contract before July 1, then plucked Hudler out of Detroit in free agency. Meanwhile, Jokinen was allowed to leave for Winnipeg.
Oh, and there’s a new coach by the name of Bob Hartley.
But for Flames fans who’ve been calling for a rebuild, the changes weren’t really changes at all – they were the continuation of Feaster’s commitment to a team led by aging stars Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff.
“We’re not tearing it down,” said Feaster after making the Wideman deal.
The GM may not be willing to trade Iginla or Kiprusoff, but defenseman Jay Bouwmeester could be another story.
With a $6.68 million cap hit, Bouwmeester is overpaid given his meager offensive production (5 goals, 24 assists in 2011-12).
Bouwmeester has two years left on his contract.
Teams like Detroit and Philadelphia could be interested.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of Calgary’s 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)