Jul 30, 2012, 11:36 AM EST
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
37-29-16, 90 points. Second in Northwest Division, ninth in the Western Conference.
First round, 21st overall — C Mark Jankowski (Stanstead College)
Jay Feaster promised changes after his team missed the playoffs for the third straight time, and the general manager stuck to his word. He acquired and signed Wideman to a big contract before July 1, then plucked Hudler out of Detroit in free agency. Meanwhile, Jokinen was allowed to leave for Winnipeg.
Oh, and there’s a new coach by the name of Bob Hartley.
But for Flames fans who’ve been calling for a rebuild, the changes weren’t really changes at all – they were the continuation of Feaster’s commitment to a team led by aging stars Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff.
“We’re not tearing it down,” said Feaster after making the Wideman deal.
The GM may not be willing to trade Iginla or Kiprusoff, but defenseman Jay Bouwmeester could be another story.
With a $6.68 million cap hit, Bouwmeester is overpaid given his meager offensive production (5 goals, 24 assists in 2011-12).
Bouwmeester has two years left on his contract.
Teams like Detroit and Philadelphia could be interested.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of Calgary’s 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 9
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 26
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)