Jul 30, 2012, 11:36 AM EST
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
37-29-16, 90 points. Second in Northwest Division, ninth in the Western Conference.
First round, 21st overall — C Mark Jankowski (Stanstead College)
Jay Feaster promised changes after his team missed the playoffs for the third straight time, and the general manager stuck to his word. He acquired and signed Wideman to a big contract before July 1, then plucked Hudler out of Detroit in free agency. Meanwhile, Jokinen was allowed to leave for Winnipeg.
Oh, and there’s a new coach by the name of Bob Hartley.
But for Flames fans who’ve been calling for a rebuild, the changes weren’t really changes at all – they were the continuation of Feaster’s commitment to a team led by aging stars Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff.
“We’re not tearing it down,” said Feaster after making the Wideman deal.
The GM may not be willing to trade Iginla or Kiprusoff, but defenseman Jay Bouwmeester could be another story.
With a $6.68 million cap hit, Bouwmeester is overpaid given his meager offensive production (5 goals, 24 assists in 2011-12).
Bouwmeester has two years left on his contract.
Teams like Detroit and Philadelphia could be interested.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of Calgary’s 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 3
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 6
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 9
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 32
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 40
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)