Jul 30, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
37-29-16, 90 points. Second in Northwest Division, ninth in the Western Conference.
First round, 21st overall — C Mark Jankowski (Stanstead College)
Jay Feaster promised changes after his team missed the playoffs for the third straight time, and the general manager stuck to his word. He acquired and signed Wideman to a big contract before July 1, then plucked Hudler out of Detroit in free agency. Meanwhile, Jokinen was allowed to leave for Winnipeg.
Oh, and there’s a new coach by the name of Bob Hartley.
But for Flames fans who’ve been calling for a rebuild, the changes weren’t really changes at all – they were the continuation of Feaster’s commitment to a team led by aging stars Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff.
“We’re not tearing it down,” said Feaster after making the Wideman deal.
The GM may not be willing to trade Iginla or Kiprusoff, but defenseman Jay Bouwmeester could be another story.
With a $6.68 million cap hit, Bouwmeester is overpaid given his meager offensive production (5 goals, 24 assists in 2011-12).
Bouwmeester has two years left on his contract.
Teams like Detroit and Philadelphia could be interested.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of Calgary’s 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)