Jul 30, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
37-29-16, 90 points. Second in Northwest Division, ninth in the Western Conference.
First round, 21st overall — C Mark Jankowski (Stanstead College)
Jay Feaster promised changes after his team missed the playoffs for the third straight time, and the general manager stuck to his word. He acquired and signed Wideman to a big contract before July 1, then plucked Hudler out of Detroit in free agency. Meanwhile, Jokinen was allowed to leave for Winnipeg.
Oh, and there’s a new coach by the name of Bob Hartley.
But for Flames fans who’ve been calling for a rebuild, the changes weren’t really changes at all – they were the continuation of Feaster’s commitment to a team led by aging stars Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff.
“We’re not tearing it down,” said Feaster after making the Wideman deal.
The GM may not be willing to trade Iginla or Kiprusoff, but defenseman Jay Bouwmeester could be another story.
With a $6.68 million cap hit, Bouwmeester is overpaid given his meager offensive production (5 goals, 24 assists in 2011-12).
Bouwmeester has two years left on his contract.
Teams like Detroit and Philadelphia could be interested.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of Calgary’s 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)