Jul 30, 2012, 7:48 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs have agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with defenseman Mark Fraser.
Fraser, 25, was acquired by the Maple Leafs from Anaheim at last year’s trade deadline (in exchange for Dale Mitchell.) The big-bodied blueliner spent most of last season in the AHL and was a key figure in helping the Marlies reach the Calder Cup Final.
There is a chance Fraser will get a crack with the Leafs next season. A veteran of 98 NHL contests, his best season came in 2009-10 with the New Jersey Devils when he appeared in 61 games, recording 3G-3A-6PTS and averaging over 12 minutes per night. Fraser also made his postseason debut that same year.
The Leafs currently have six defensemen under contract for next season (Dion Phaneuf, John-Michael Liles, Mike Komisarek, Carl Gunnarson, Jake Gardiner, Korbinian Holzer) and still have yet to agree to terms with RFA defenseman Cody Franson.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)