Jul 30, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
Given the number of times Alex Auld has changed locales over the last seven years, it’s no surprise his travels are now taking him to Europe.
Salzburg, to be exact.
EC Red Bull Salzburg — the four-time Austrian League champion — recently announced the 31-year-old Auld has signed on for the 2012-13 campaign.
(Red Bull is same team that employed Marty Turco before he signed a late-season deal with the Boston Bruins. It’s currently coached by longtime NHL bench boss Pierre Page and features ex-NHLers Shawn Hunwick and Rob Davison.)
“Alex Auld is a highly talented goalie and a strong character,” Page told the team website. “He believes in the Red Bull Hockey Model and that his stint in Salzburg will help him to take another step in the right direction.”
Once a promising young netminder (he was Vancouver’s team MVP in 2005-06), Auld has spent the last few years bouncing around the NHL.
Since 2006-07 he’s gone from Florida to Phoenix to Boston to Ottawa to Dallas to New York (Rangers) to Montreal, then back to Ottawa last season — where he fell out of favor after the Sens acquired Ben Bishop.
Auld has a 91-88-2-32 record in 237 career NHL games with a .904 save percentage and 2.80 GAA.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)