Jul 30, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
What better day than Calgary Flames day on PHT for it to be reported that Flames prospect Mark Jankowski will play at Providence College in the fall?
Jankowski had originally intended to suit up for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League, but apparently had a change of heart.
The 17-year-old center was selected 21st overall in the 2012 draft out of Stanstead College, a high school in Quebec.
The pick left many scratching their heads, as Jankowski was ranked No. 43 among North American skaters by Central Scouting.
“The kid will never play in the NHL,” an unidentified agent wrote in an email to the Calgary Sun. “I saw him play several times. He’s scared of his shadow.”
Obviously the Flames felt otherwise.
Said assistant general manager John Weisbrod of Jankowski: “He’s a long way away, he’s raw, he’s young, he’s still got to cross the crocodile-infested waters and develop properly — like, it’s a long way from draft day to play in the NHL — but the physical attributes this guy has. The athleticism. The skating. The hands. The fact that he’ll likely be playing at six-four, 215. I’ve said it to our scouts all week long — he’s Joe Nieuwendyk.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 3
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 10
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)