Jul 30, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
What better day than Calgary Flames day on PHT for it to be reported that Flames prospect Mark Jankowski will play at Providence College in the fall?
Jankowski had originally intended to suit up for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League, but apparently had a change of heart.
The 17-year-old center was selected 21st overall in the 2012 draft out of Stanstead College, a high school in Quebec.
The pick left many scratching their heads, as Jankowski was ranked No. 43 among North American skaters by Central Scouting.
“The kid will never play in the NHL,” an unidentified agent wrote in an email to the Calgary Sun. “I saw him play several times. He’s scared of his shadow.”
Obviously the Flames felt otherwise.
Said assistant general manager John Weisbrod of Jankowski: “He’s a long way away, he’s raw, he’s young, he’s still got to cross the crocodile-infested waters and develop properly — like, it’s a long way from draft day to play in the NHL — but the physical attributes this guy has. The athleticism. The skating. The hands. The fact that he’ll likely be playing at six-four, 215. I’ve said it to our scouts all week long — he’s Joe Nieuwendyk.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)