Jul 30, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
What better day than Calgary Flames day on PHT for it to be reported that Flames prospect Mark Jankowski will play at Providence College in the fall?
Jankowski had originally intended to suit up for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League, but apparently had a change of heart.
The 17-year-old center was selected 21st overall in the 2012 draft out of Stanstead College, a high school in Quebec.
The pick left many scratching their heads, as Jankowski was ranked No. 43 among North American skaters by Central Scouting.
“The kid will never play in the NHL,” an unidentified agent wrote in an email to the Calgary Sun. “I saw him play several times. He’s scared of his shadow.”
Obviously the Flames felt otherwise.
Said assistant general manager John Weisbrod of Jankowski: “He’s a long way away, he’s raw, he’s young, he’s still got to cross the crocodile-infested waters and develop properly — like, it’s a long way from draft day to play in the NHL — but the physical attributes this guy has. The athleticism. The skating. The hands. The fact that he’ll likely be playing at six-four, 215. I’ve said it to our scouts all week long — he’s Joe Nieuwendyk.”
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)