Jul 30, 2012, 2:01 PM EST
What better day than Calgary Flames day on PHT for it to be reported that Flames prospect Mark Jankowski will play at Providence College in the fall?
Jankowski had originally intended to suit up for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League, but apparently had a change of heart.
The 17-year-old center was selected 21st overall in the 2012 draft out of Stanstead College, a high school in Quebec.
The pick left many scratching their heads, as Jankowski was ranked No. 43 among North American skaters by Central Scouting.
“The kid will never play in the NHL,” an unidentified agent wrote in an email to the Calgary Sun. “I saw him play several times. He’s scared of his shadow.”
Obviously the Flames felt otherwise.
Said assistant general manager John Weisbrod of Jankowski: “He’s a long way away, he’s raw, he’s young, he’s still got to cross the crocodile-infested waters and develop properly — like, it’s a long way from draft day to play in the NHL — but the physical attributes this guy has. The athleticism. The skating. The hands. The fact that he’ll likely be playing at six-four, 215. I’ve said it to our scouts all week long — he’s Joe Nieuwendyk.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)