Jul 30, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
What better day than Calgary Flames day on PHT for it to be reported that Flames prospect Mark Jankowski will play at Providence College in the fall?
Jankowski had originally intended to suit up for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League, but apparently had a change of heart.
The 17-year-old center was selected 21st overall in the 2012 draft out of Stanstead College, a high school in Quebec.
The pick left many scratching their heads, as Jankowski was ranked No. 43 among North American skaters by Central Scouting.
“The kid will never play in the NHL,” an unidentified agent wrote in an email to the Calgary Sun. “I saw him play several times. He’s scared of his shadow.”
Obviously the Flames felt otherwise.
Said assistant general manager John Weisbrod of Jankowski: “He’s a long way away, he’s raw, he’s young, he’s still got to cross the crocodile-infested waters and develop properly — like, it’s a long way from draft day to play in the NHL — but the physical attributes this guy has. The athleticism. The skating. The hands. The fact that he’ll likely be playing at six-four, 215. I’ve said it to our scouts all week long — he’s Joe Nieuwendyk.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)