Jul 30, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Jokinen finished second in team scoring with 23 goals and 38 assists while averaging 18:58 of ice time per game.
He’s also a center, and his departure leaves the Flames with serious questions down the middle.
Of course, Cammalleri has spent most of his pro career on the wing.
And Backlund might be down to his last chance with the Flames.
And Stajan has been a massive disappointment since coming to Calgary as part of the Dion Phaneuf trade.
And Cervenka hasn’t even played an NHL game yet.
Feaster may be buoyed by the fact Los Angeles snuck into the playoffs with the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference and won the Stanley Cup; however, the Kings have two outstanding centers in Anze Kopitar and Mike Richards.
Just in case you were wondering about the importance of the position.
That Feaster is counting on Backlund for next season underscores Calgary’s issues at center. The Flames’ first-round pick from the 2007 draft registered just 11 points in 41 games in 2011-12.
“Mikael has an opportunity to step-up and attempt to secure a top two-line center position with our club,” said Feaster. “He is a very talented player who skates well, has excellent vision and possesses a strong skill set. As we have discussed with him, Mikael needs to work on his consistency and his focus in order to break through in a top six role and start to define his role on our team.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)