Jul 30, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Jokinen finished second in team scoring with 23 goals and 38 assists while averaging 18:58 of ice time per game.
He’s also a center, and his departure leaves the Flames with serious questions down the middle.
Of course, Cammalleri has spent most of his pro career on the wing.
And Backlund might be down to his last chance with the Flames.
And Stajan has been a massive disappointment since coming to Calgary as part of the Dion Phaneuf trade.
And Cervenka hasn’t even played an NHL game yet.
Feaster may be buoyed by the fact Los Angeles snuck into the playoffs with the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference and won the Stanley Cup; however, the Kings have two outstanding centers in Anze Kopitar and Mike Richards.
Just in case you were wondering about the importance of the position.
That Feaster is counting on Backlund for next season underscores Calgary’s issues at center. The Flames’ first-round pick from the 2007 draft registered just 11 points in 41 games in 2011-12.
“Mikael has an opportunity to step-up and attempt to secure a top two-line center position with our club,” said Feaster. “He is a very talented player who skates well, has excellent vision and possesses a strong skill set. As we have discussed with him, Mikael needs to work on his consistency and his focus in order to break through in a top six role and start to define his role on our team.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)