Jul 29, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
For considerable stretches of last season, Ottawa would win despite its should-be No. 1 guy. Anderson’s up-and-down season included some genuine valleys, most notably his chicken-prepping injury.
That amusing gaffe doesn’t change the fact that his season ended with promise, though.
In a seven-game series against the New York Rangers, Anderson went toe-to-toe with Henrik Lundqvist, sporting a fantastic .933 save percentage before falling just short of a big upset.
(Interestingly enough, Anderson posted the same exact save percentage when he gave San Jose a serious scare during his only playoff run with Colorado in 2010.)
Strong but short-lived playoff successes combine with the fantastic numbers he put up as a Florida Panthers backup to explain why Anderson is, to some, quite intriguing.
On the other hand, he bares the rare distinction of being drafted twice (both times in the third round). Aside from that, some will remember him merely as the guy who got caught staring at ice girls twice.
Ottawa won’t “sneak up” on other teams next season, so the Senators hope to see more of the dominant side of Anderson (and less of the clumsy cutting side) in 2012-13.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)