Jul 29, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
For considerable stretches of last season, Ottawa would win despite its should-be No. 1 guy. Anderson’s up-and-down season included some genuine valleys, most notably his chicken-prepping injury.
That amusing gaffe doesn’t change the fact that his season ended with promise, though.
In a seven-game series against the New York Rangers, Anderson went toe-to-toe with Henrik Lundqvist, sporting a fantastic .933 save percentage before falling just short of a big upset.
(Interestingly enough, Anderson posted the same exact save percentage when he gave San Jose a serious scare during his only playoff run with Colorado in 2010.)
Strong but short-lived playoff successes combine with the fantastic numbers he put up as a Florida Panthers backup to explain why Anderson is, to some, quite intriguing.
On the other hand, he bares the rare distinction of being drafted twice (both times in the third round). Aside from that, some will remember him merely as the guy who got caught staring at ice girls twice.
Ottawa won’t “sneak up” on other teams next season, so the Senators hope to see more of the dominant side of Anderson (and less of the clumsy cutting side) in 2012-13.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)