Jul 29, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
There were many reasons why Erik Karlsson‘s 2011-12 was amazing, but winning a Norris Trophy as a 22-year-old probably takes the cake.
Really, Karlsson’s beyond-his-years production might be a microcosm of an Ottawa Senators system that is rife with intriguing young talent.
Hockey’s Future ranked them third overall in the NHL, raving about young forwards such as Mika Zibanejad (pictured) and Jakob Silfverberg in particular.
Zibanejad was Ottawa’s early first-rounder in 2011, wowing the Senators brass with his mixture of offensive skills and encouraging nastiness. The Swede played nine games at the NHL level and prospered at the World Junior Championships, so his time just might come next season.
(Although an injury could change things, as that’s what gave him a brief chance last season.)
Karlsson is the headliner among young defensemen, but Jared Cowen recently graduated to the NHL level as well. Cowen’s size and intensity represents a very different set of assets to Karlsson’s scoring.
Whether it’s next season or one after, the Senators’ prospects might represent the franchise’s best chance to keep the momentum going.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)