Jul 29, 2012, 3:50 PM EST
The good news is the Sun has confirmed the Senators captain is working out near his home in Gotenburg, Sweden as discussions between GM Bryan Murray and agent J.P. Barry continue to get a one-year extension in place.
The 39-year-old Alfredsson hasn’t made a final decision on whether he’s going to play next season, but it’s fair to say it’s looking good and it shouldn’t be much longer before he announces whether he’ll return or retire.
Just the fact Alfredsson is in the gym is a positive sign for the franchise and its fans. He told the Sun last season he had to make sure “the fire still burned” to do the off-season workouts required to get ready to play.
Alfredsson has served as Ottawa’s captain since 1999 and shown little signs of decline. He scored 27 goals last year — his highest total since potting 40 in 2007-08 — and appeared in 75 games, averaging 19 minutes per night.
The key point now, it seems, is how long he’ll play for. Alfredsson’s signed for 2012-13 with a $4.875 million cap hit, but his actual salary is only $1 million.
Given Ottawa’s turnaround, last year’s surprise playoff berth, a stellar crop of young Sens prospects and the league’s newfound approach to signing older players (see: Ray Whitney, Jaromir Jagr, Teemu Selanne) it stands to reason Alfredsson could play multiple years, not just one.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)