Jul 29, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT
The good news is the Sun has confirmed the Senators captain is working out near his home in Gotenburg, Sweden as discussions between GM Bryan Murray and agent J.P. Barry continue to get a one-year extension in place.
The 39-year-old Alfredsson hasn’t made a final decision on whether he’s going to play next season, but it’s fair to say it’s looking good and it shouldn’t be much longer before he announces whether he’ll return or retire.
Just the fact Alfredsson is in the gym is a positive sign for the franchise and its fans. He told the Sun last season he had to make sure “the fire still burned” to do the off-season workouts required to get ready to play.
Alfredsson has served as Ottawa’s captain since 1999 and shown little signs of decline. He scored 27 goals last year — his highest total since potting 40 in 2007-08 — and appeared in 75 games, averaging 19 minutes per night.
The key point now, it seems, is how long he’ll play for. Alfredsson’s signed for 2012-13 with a $4.875 million cap hit, but his actual salary is only $1 million.
Given Ottawa’s turnaround, last year’s surprise playoff berth, a stellar crop of young Sens prospects and the league’s newfound approach to signing older players (see: Ray Whitney, Jaromir Jagr, Teemu Selanne) it stands to reason Alfredsson could play multiple years, not just one.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)