Jul 29, 2012, 1:46 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
41-31-10, 92 points. Second in Northeast Division, eighth in the Eastern Conference. Lost in the conference quarterfinals (4-3) to the New York Rangers.
First round, 15th overall — D Cody Ceci (OHL Ottawa)
It was a busy offseason in Ottawa, one where Sens GM Bryan Murray changed up numerous complimentary pieces. The club’s biggest move, obviously, was inking Norris winner Erik Karlsson to a seven-year, $45.5 million deal…but there was also the key re-signing of veteran grit forward Chris Neil.
It’s possible locking up those two pieces will push captain Daniel Alfredsson to stave off retirement. Karlsson’s a fellow Swede, Neil’s been Alfredsson’s teammate for 10 years and after those signings, Murray said there was optimism Alfie would come back.
In terms of Ottawa’s new faces, Guillaume Latendresse and Marc Methot should step in and play key roles. Latendresse has a chance to receive top-six minutes up front while Methot is a candidate to replace Filip Kuba as Karlsson’s defensive partner.
With noted tough guys like Zenon Konopka and Matt Carkner gone and a slew of talented young forward prospects (Mark Stone, Jakob Silfverberg, Mika Zibanejad, Stefan Noesen, Matt Puempel) on the horizon, there’s a chance Ottawa could be an even more offensively dynamic team in 2012-13.
That’s an exciting prospect considering the Sens averaged 2.96 goals per game last year, fourth most in the NHL.
Ottawa’s narrative for the rest of the summer will likely revolve around Alfredsson and whether he’ll return to the Canadian capital. If he does, it gives him a chance at a pretty compelling swan song as the Sens should again challenge for a playoff spot.
If he doesn’t, it’ll be a major loss for the Sens not just in player quality, but also leadership. Alfredsson has served as captain since 1999 and was an important veteran presence on an Ottawa team that dressed 10 rookies last season.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of Ottawa’s 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38