Jul 29, 2012, 5:48 PM EDT
On Saturday, former New Jersey Devils and Anaheim Ducks captain Scott Niedermayer was inducted into the British Columbia Hockey Hall of Fame.
His induction was a special one. When people say Niedermayer accomplished all there is to accomplish in hockey, they truly mean it — he’s the only Canadian player in history to win the ‘big six’:
Stanley Cup, Memorial Cup, World Juniors, World Championships, Olympics and the now-defunct World Cup.
Those accolades are a big reason why Lucas Aykroyd of IIHF.com was on hand to interview Niedermayer at his induction ceremony.
On the subject of NHLers competing in future Olympics — most notably, the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi — Niedermayer was hopeful participation would continue.
“I think it’s obvious that the fans love it. It’s great hockey,” Niedermayer explained. “I know the players love it. Sometimes it is difficult when you have a long way to travel. It’s not easy. But the players always love an opportunity to represent their country.
“It means a lot to them. So let’s hope it continues.”
Niedermayer won two Olympic golds with Canada in 2002 and 2010, captaining the side that beat the U.S. in Vancouver. He pointed out that Canada defeated the Americans for both of their gold medals, suggesting the rivalry is a big reason why Olympic hockey is so captivating.
“It’s a difficult tournament to win,” he said. “You look at the teams that are out there now, how hard the Americans played [in 2010]. Actually, we ended up playing the U.S. in both the Olympic finals we won. They were good games. And there are many other tough teams. It’s a tough tournament.
“That’s why people love watching it. That’s why when you win it, it means something.”
May 21, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 21, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Both make their series debuts tonight.
May 21, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
That’s a long way up to do that.
May 21, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
This might be getting old to him by now.
May 21, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
He was banged up roughly in Game 3.
May 21, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
A 13-percent rise from last year.
May 21, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Off to a surprising 2-1 series lead over Chicago.
May 21, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
He’ll replace Peter Horachek, who was fired yesterday.
May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
(His brother is Patrick Roy.)
May 21, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
May 21, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Logan Couture says he’s “all good.”
May 21, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Jarmo, talking tough.
May 21, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Montreal’s 27-year-old defenseman was hurt in April while trying to hit Milan Lucic.
May 21, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
San Jose hasn’t lost at HP Pavilion this postseason.
May 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Edmonton’s new rink is set to open in 2016.
May 21, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
The panel gets another goalie.
May 21, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
It’s his old team, Dynamo Moscow.
May 21, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
It’s been two weeks since they were swept by the Sharks.
May 21, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
He’s “getting closer” to a return, though.
May 21, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
Boston can take a commanding lead on the Rangers.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3