Jul 29, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
The ongoing Steve Moore-Todd Bertuzzi saga will stretch into next year.
That’s the word according to Jeff Z. Klein the New York Times, who reports the civil suit brought by Moore against Bertuzzi, the Vancouver Canucks and Marc Crawford has been pushed from its original Sept. 24 date to late January 2013.
Moore’s lawyers confirmed the delay on Saturday, noting that the defense requested the adjournment.
“Selection of the six-member jury will begin Jan. 28. Lawyers expect an 8- to-12-week trial,” Klein writes. “No further delays in the trial date are anticipated, because under Canadian judicial practice no jury trials are held over the summer.”
The projected timeframe means the trial could coincide with the nine-year anniversary of Bertuzzi’s attack on Moore — the incident occurred on Mar. 8, 2004 — one that left Moore with three fractured neck vertebrae and a concussion, injuries that ended his playing career.
The former Colorado Avalanche is seeking $38 million in damages.
In February, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to nearly $38 million. Crawford, meanwhile, has signed on to coach the Zurich Lions of the Swiss Hockey League for the 2012-13 season.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)