Jul 29, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
The ongoing Steve Moore-Todd Bertuzzi saga will stretch into next year.
That’s the word according to Jeff Z. Klein the New York Times, who reports the civil suit brought by Moore against Bertuzzi, the Vancouver Canucks and Marc Crawford has been pushed from its original Sept. 24 date to late January 2013.
Moore’s lawyers confirmed the delay on Saturday, noting that the defense requested the adjournment.
“Selection of the six-member jury will begin Jan. 28. Lawyers expect an 8- to-12-week trial,” Klein writes. “No further delays in the trial date are anticipated, because under Canadian judicial practice no jury trials are held over the summer.”
The projected timeframe means the trial could coincide with the nine-year anniversary of Bertuzzi’s attack on Moore — the incident occurred on Mar. 8, 2004 — one that left Moore with three fractured neck vertebrae and a concussion, injuries that ended his playing career.
The former Colorado Avalanche is seeking $38 million in damages.
In February, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to nearly $38 million. Crawford, meanwhile, has signed on to coach the Zurich Lions of the Swiss Hockey League for the 2012-13 season.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)