Jul 29, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
The ongoing Steve Moore-Todd Bertuzzi saga will stretch into next year.
That’s the word according to Jeff Z. Klein the New York Times, who reports the civil suit brought by Moore against Bertuzzi, the Vancouver Canucks and Marc Crawford has been pushed from its original Sept. 24 date to late January 2013.
Moore’s lawyers confirmed the delay on Saturday, noting that the defense requested the adjournment.
“Selection of the six-member jury will begin Jan. 28. Lawyers expect an 8- to-12-week trial,” Klein writes. “No further delays in the trial date are anticipated, because under Canadian judicial practice no jury trials are held over the summer.”
The projected timeframe means the trial could coincide with the nine-year anniversary of Bertuzzi’s attack on Moore — the incident occurred on Mar. 8, 2004 — one that left Moore with three fractured neck vertebrae and a concussion, injuries that ended his playing career.
The former Colorado Avalanche is seeking $38 million in damages.
In February, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to nearly $38 million. Crawford, meanwhile, has signed on to coach the Zurich Lions of the Swiss Hockey League for the 2012-13 season.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)