Jul 29, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
The ongoing Steve Moore-Todd Bertuzzi saga will stretch into next year.
That’s the word according to Jeff Z. Klein the New York Times, who reports the civil suit brought by Moore against Bertuzzi, the Vancouver Canucks and Marc Crawford has been pushed from its original Sept. 24 date to late January 2013.
Moore’s lawyers confirmed the delay on Saturday, noting that the defense requested the adjournment.
“Selection of the six-member jury will begin Jan. 28. Lawyers expect an 8- to-12-week trial,” Klein writes. “No further delays in the trial date are anticipated, because under Canadian judicial practice no jury trials are held over the summer.”
The projected timeframe means the trial could coincide with the nine-year anniversary of Bertuzzi’s attack on Moore — the incident occurred on Mar. 8, 2004 — one that left Moore with three fractured neck vertebrae and a concussion, injuries that ended his playing career.
The former Colorado Avalanche is seeking $38 million in damages.
In February, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to nearly $38 million. Crawford, meanwhile, has signed on to coach the Zurich Lions of the Swiss Hockey League for the 2012-13 season.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)