Jul 29, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Ottawa Senators.
After just about everyone predicted them to finish in the Eastern Conference’s cellar, the Ottawa Senators instead managed a spirited playoff run. They even gave the New York Rangers a scare.
One could attribute that surprise turnaround to a number of factors, although the top three probably include some combination of Paul MacLean’s fine coaching, Erik Karlsson‘s Norris season and Jason Spezza‘s redemption.
Aside from re-signing Karlsson, the Sens’ biggest offseason question remains unanswered as Daniel Alfredssson is still undecided about retirement.
After being rebuffed by Rick Nash, it’s clear that the Sens’ biggest strides will be made from within.
We’ll examine Ottawa’s biggest questions at PHT today, so stick around.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)