Jul 29, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Ottawa Senators.
After just about everyone predicted them to finish in the Eastern Conference’s cellar, the Ottawa Senators instead managed a spirited playoff run. They even gave the New York Rangers a scare.
One could attribute that surprise turnaround to a number of factors, although the top three probably include some combination of Paul MacLean’s fine coaching, Erik Karlsson‘s Norris season and Jason Spezza‘s redemption.
Aside from re-signing Karlsson, the Sens’ biggest offseason question remains unanswered as Daniel Alfredssson is still undecided about retirement.
After being rebuffed by Rick Nash, it’s clear that the Sens’ biggest strides will be made from within.
We’ll examine Ottawa’s biggest questions at PHT today, so stick around.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)