Jul 29, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Ottawa Senators.
After just about everyone predicted them to finish in the Eastern Conference’s cellar, the Ottawa Senators instead managed a spirited playoff run. They even gave the New York Rangers a scare.
One could attribute that surprise turnaround to a number of factors, although the top three probably include some combination of Paul MacLean’s fine coaching, Erik Karlsson‘s Norris season and Jason Spezza‘s redemption.
Aside from re-signing Karlsson, the Sens’ biggest offseason question remains unanswered as Daniel Alfredssson is still undecided about retirement.
After being rebuffed by Rick Nash, it’s clear that the Sens’ biggest strides will be made from within.
We’ll examine Ottawa’s biggest questions at PHT today, so stick around.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)