Jul 29, 2012, 10:36 AM EST
Prior to being acquired by Ottawa on July 1, Marc Methot spent his entire six-year NHL career in Columbus. While he has plenty of good things to say about the city and its fans, he also recently told Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun playing hockey in Ohio was challenging at times.
“I’m not going to sugarcoat it: I have the utmost respect for the fans there,” Methot said. “It’s just sometimes during the week we wouldn’t get a packed house and we’d be playing a team like Chicago or Detroit and it sounded like half the building were from those markets or were fans of the other team.
“We were losing a lot of games, people weren’t happy and it wasn’t a great atmosphere.”
Talk about your reversals of fortune.
Methot, 27, is an Ottawa native set to join a young Senators team that defied expectations last year by making the playoffs. They pushed the Eastern Conference’s top-seeded Rangers to seven games in the opening round and it looks as though Methot — known as a positionally-sound, defensive defenseman — could get a chance to replace Filip Kuba as Erik Karlsson‘s blueline partner.
The former London Knight sounded excited to get things going with the Sens.
“You can absolutely call it a fresh start,” Methot said. “I’m going to get a chance to play in front of my family and friends. I don’t think the situation could be any better.”
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 46
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)