Jul 28, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
Doug Wilson has served as GM of the Sharks since 2003, a tenure that’s been marked by a series of big, bold personnel moves.
So…what’s his next one?
That’s the question many are asking with San Jose coming off its lowest point total in six years and quickest postseason exit in eight. Wilson will be the man in charge of reversing this trend — ownership gave him a vote of confidence back in May — but the current NHL landscape doesn’t seem ripe for a big trade.
But now, things are different — take the Rick Nash situation. It was public knowledge Columbus was shopping Nash and San Jose was believed to be on the shortlist of teams Nash would accept a trade to.
All seemed primed for Wilson to be in the mix. But in June, it was reported the Sharks and Blue Jackets hadn’t spoken about Nash “in months.”
(The sticking point appeared to be Logan Couture, who the Jackets wanted but the Sharks weren’t willing to part with.)
There’s a chance San Jose could get in the Bobby Ryan mix, though it seems unlikely Anaheim would deal to an in-state and divisional rival. Wilson could decide it’s time to part ways with Patrick Marleau, but the 32-year-old veteran didn’t sound keen on a fresh start back in July (saying he wasn’t ready to waive his no-movement clause.)
Wilson could also keep his roster intact and, should the Sharks get off to a rocky start, play his trump card — a coaching change.
It could be said hiring Larry Robinson as an associate coach this summer was Wilson’s biggest offseason move. Robinson has great pedigree and a stellar resume and if the L.A. Kings showed anything last year, it’s how vital a coaching change can be. Dean Lombardi always had an eye for Darryl Sutter and in Robinson, Wilson has an in-house candidate at the ready should Todd McLellan falter.
Robinson’s on record saying he’s not in San Jose to take McLellan’s job, but let’s face facts. With limited options at his disposal, it might be the only big move Wilson has left.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)