Jul 28, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
After signing him to a four-year, $17 million deal, it was clear just how strongly the Philadelphia Flyers feel about Jakub Voracek. GM Paul Holmgren essentially admitted that he’ll take Jaromir Jagr‘s spot.
Voracek spoke about Jagr’s impact both last season and how he grew up idolizing the future Hall of Famer (who grew up in the same Czech Republic town of Kladno) with CSNPhilly.com’s Sarah Baicker.
“It was very fun for me last year with all the players, especially [Jagr],” Voracek said. “He was practically my idol since I was a kid. To be around him all year long and to watch what he does before the games, after games and during practice was something priceless.”
The similarities between the two inspired some to call Voracek “Baby Jagr,” but he’ll have an opportunity to make an identity of his own alongside his idol’s linemates Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell.
The Flyers must hope that the 22-year-old breaks through like Jagr did around that age. After some strong initial seasons, Jagr exploded during the 1995-96 season when he was 23, jumping from 70 points to a whopping 149 (62 goals included).
Expecting anything close to that in a league where 100-point seasons are rare would be excessive, but Philly’s front office would love the parallels to continue in some form.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)