Jul 28, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
After signing him to a four-year, $17 million deal, it was clear just how strongly the Philadelphia Flyers feel about Jakub Voracek. GM Paul Holmgren essentially admitted that he’ll take Jaromir Jagr‘s spot.
Voracek spoke about Jagr’s impact both last season and how he grew up idolizing the future Hall of Famer (who grew up in the same Czech Republic town of Kladno) with CSNPhilly.com’s Sarah Baicker.
“It was very fun for me last year with all the players, especially [Jagr],” Voracek said. “He was practically my idol since I was a kid. To be around him all year long and to watch what he does before the games, after games and during practice was something priceless.”
The similarities between the two inspired some to call Voracek “Baby Jagr,” but he’ll have an opportunity to make an identity of his own alongside his idol’s linemates Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell.
The Flyers must hope that the 22-year-old breaks through like Jagr did around that age. After some strong initial seasons, Jagr exploded during the 1995-96 season when he was 23, jumping from 70 points to a whopping 149 (62 goals included).
Expecting anything close to that in a league where 100-point seasons are rare would be excessive, but Philly’s front office would love the parallels to continue in some form.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)