Jul 28, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT
After signing him to a four-year, $17 million deal, it was clear just how strongly the Philadelphia Flyers feel about Jakub Voracek. GM Paul Holmgren essentially admitted that he’ll take Jaromir Jagr‘s spot.
Voracek spoke about Jagr’s impact both last season and how he grew up idolizing the future Hall of Famer (who grew up in the same Czech Republic town of Kladno) with CSNPhilly.com’s Sarah Baicker.
“It was very fun for me last year with all the players, especially [Jagr],” Voracek said. “He was practically my idol since I was a kid. To be around him all year long and to watch what he does before the games, after games and during practice was something priceless.”
The similarities between the two inspired some to call Voracek “Baby Jagr,” but he’ll have an opportunity to make an identity of his own alongside his idol’s linemates Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell.
The Flyers must hope that the 22-year-old breaks through like Jagr did around that age. After some strong initial seasons, Jagr exploded during the 1995-96 season when he was 23, jumping from 70 points to a whopping 149 (62 goals included).
Expecting anything close to that in a league where 100-point seasons are rare would be excessive, but Philly’s front office would love the parallels to continue in some form.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)