Jul 28, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Joe Thornton isn’t all that old – he’s just 33 – but it feels like people have been discussing his legacy for years now.
Perhaps it comes with the territory of being a high-scoring, huge Canadian forward who was drafted first overall. (Especially when that guy hasn’t satisfied many with his postseason play.)
While he’s still one of the San Jose Sharks’ best players, there’s a feeling that Jumbo Joe’s best days are behind him. With that in mind, a fun question emerges: is he headed toward the Hall of Fame?
Let’s take a Cliffs Notes look at the arguments for and against.
- Just 87 points in 114 career playoff games, far behind his near-point-per-game regular season average.
- Not a great goal-scorer.
- Some expect a more physical style considering his towering size.
- Insert more abstract criticisms about “heart” here.
- Just over a point-per-game in his regular season career (1,078 points in 1,077 games).
- Much better in the postseason with San Jose (69 points in 79 games).
- One Hart Trophy, one Art Ross and six All-Star selections.
- Nine seasons in the top-10 in assists, including three at No.1 overall.
- Five seasons in the top-10 in points, fourth among active players for career points.
Naturally, he still has more hockey ahead of him, but where does Thornton weigh in now?
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 28
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)