Jul 28, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
Joe Thornton isn’t all that old – he’s just 33 – but it feels like people have been discussing his legacy for years now.
Perhaps it comes with the territory of being a high-scoring, huge Canadian forward who was drafted first overall. (Especially when that guy hasn’t satisfied many with his postseason play.)
While he’s still one of the San Jose Sharks’ best players, there’s a feeling that Jumbo Joe’s best days are behind him. With that in mind, a fun question emerges: is he headed toward the Hall of Fame?
Let’s take a Cliffs Notes look at the arguments for and against.
- Just 87 points in 114 career playoff games, far behind his near-point-per-game regular season average.
- Not a great goal-scorer.
- Some expect a more physical style considering his towering size.
- Insert more abstract criticisms about “heart” here.
- Just over a point-per-game in his regular season career (1,078 points in 1,077 games).
- Much better in the postseason with San Jose (69 points in 79 games).
- One Hart Trophy, one Art Ross and six All-Star selections.
- Nine seasons in the top-10 in assists, including three at No.1 overall.
- Five seasons in the top-10 in points, fourth among active players for career points.
Naturally, he still has more hockey ahead of him, but where does Thornton weigh in now?
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)